Topic

Anyone here sumit Everest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Anyone here sumit Everest?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

If so, how much preparation time, and what were the costs involved?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hi Mike,
    I'm only posting a reply because I see no one else has, and since I don't know you or your experience, this may or may not be useful info.Are you looking to get started or just a general direction on info?
    Although I have not personally summited Everest, I have 2 friends who have, one of which summited last year with Adventure Consultants (His last of the 7 summits)
    He has some money…
    http://www.adventure.co.nz/AdventureInternational/Everest/

…and the another was a guide in a 2002(?) expedition – obviously a much more experienced mountaineer and cost nowhere near that of going with AC.
    I can put you touch with either one for more specific answers to your questions. Or I can try to answer some basics for you.
    I'll actually be in Nepal for the month of May (I leave in 2 weeks) and be in the Everest region, not at the top though – I'll be at base camp when many of the summitiers are coming down…I'll let you know what type of shape they are in and how much they payed to be put in that state.
    Steve

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'd bet you could search the internet and find all that info. Cost from my reading has been anywhere from 40-60 thousand and weeks to a few months preparation.

Larry Smith

@jibofo-2-2

Rates are as low as $5,000 for the north side with minimal support to over $40,000 to be short roped up the South Col route. Add in airfares, personal equipment, etc. If you're an experienced mountaineer with high altitude experience you're ready to go. If you're not, you don't belong there. Real mountaineers climb within their capeabilities and contribute to the work. People with more money than skill and experience get babysat up the 7 summits.
    Sorry if I come off sounding harsh, but as a climber with 35 years experience the idea of people paying to basically be drug up a mountain is obscene to me.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Everest is a lost cause in my eyes.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Since Larry opened up the can – I was trying to be informative in my first post, but yeah, climbing Everest is not what it once was. You could probably sit on a GT Snowracer and be dragged to the top if you paid enough money. Everest is completely overrun with Commercial Expeditions.
    Most true climbers I know share the same opinion as Larry. They would be hesitant to pay that money and climb when everything is being done for you. All decisions are made for you – you just put one foot in front of the other. It is a low blow to the climbing community when a mountaineers resume has a number of extreme peaks and the only thing someone asks is "You haven't done Everest?!?"

That's also why I shared "my 2 known experiences" – no one had responded, and not knowing what Mikes experience level is (he could have soloed K2 for all I know) – 1. you can pay some money, 2. Be a guide for an excursion. I have no idea what type of logistics are involved in planning your own climb – I would imagine that it would be lengthy and expensive aswell.

However, I really don't care if someone wants to pay to climb the Big Guy…so, my offer still stands. If you are serious about it, I can put you in touch with a couple of people who have.

Steve

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

I can personally guide you up the mountain that is highest (measured from the center of the earth)—a mountain that, in fact, is 1.5 mi. closer to outer space than Everest. That mountain, to be found in Ecuador is Mt. Chimborazo

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9428163

So, what would you rather do? Climb that circus that is highest measured from sea level or stand atop the summit that is closest to the Moon? Helluvalot cheaper, too.

Robert Mohid

@mohid

Hear hear.

For what it's worth, you could use the money required for a guided everest expedition to climb over a dozen other peaks, on your own, that would provide a superior climbing experience in every way.

IMO it's just an objective, like any other objective. Once you've done it you'll be just as hungry as before you left and will start looking elsewhere …

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sorry Mike, it certainly seems you've picked the wrong mountain to dream about climbing…

Yes, we've all heard stories, seen TV shows, read some Krakauer/Boukreev books, and formulated strategies for what we would've done when walking past the dying climber…but in all fairness, I think it's a bit presumptuous for a bunch of people that have never set foot on the mountain to write it off as somehow being an unworthy goal or no longer a challenge.

Personally, I would want nothing to do with high-stakes/high-altitude climbing:
    But if Everest is your mountain, by all means, go climb it.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Really, the original poster should be referred to one of the mtneering specific forums and sites for an answer, where he has a greater chance of communicating with old Himalayan hands and aspirants.

I suggest that Mike checks out, for starters

http://www.mounteverest.net/
    http://www.summitpost.org/

I only hope that he has a body of high altitude mtneering experience, first, before he seriously sets his sights on this Mtn.

Call me presumptuous ( but never call me late for supper). Full disclosure: I do have some climbs in the Himalaya and Andes under my belt (resume available on request).

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

Locale: pacific northwest

My personal yardstick for success in the himal underwent a revision after my first trip,… after wading through permiting and bakshesh, trying to remain well enough to trek to base camp, and then climb was humbling.
    It takes a different breed of cat to play that game.
    There are so many beautiful, even unnamed, mountains that are so much more accessable and affordable. Maybe I'm just sour grapes because that window isn't available to me but I agree Kevin this isn't the forum to discuss the grand peaks of the himalayas. I don't like to even give too much advice to the poster wanting to climb Shasta.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

After going to a seminar held by John Muir (2nd Australian to climb Everest (2 times now); he's also done the South and North Poles unsupported and walked solo across Australia from South to North UNSUPPORTED-over 2000km!) and hearing him talk of the summit and seeingsome of his personal photographs on a big screen from the climb and the summit, a clear day, I cannot knock anyone who wants to climb it. If I had the money, I would probably train up as much as I could and get guided up it, though I would make sure I am pulling my weight. So I don't knock anyone who wants to do that.

What I dont like is the way many teams treat the mountain. I dont mind the buddhist prayer flags, etc, but the rubbish, old pro, ropes, etc left everywhere on the climb is rather shameful. I would make it a mission of mine, however I was to climb it, to make sure we didnt add to the mess.

I say go for it if you want it.

For the record I dont wouldnt give any real credit to anyone who has been guided up such a peak though-I beleive anyone can pay to do that. Its like claiming a sports star is a hero in my books when the real heroes are people who risk and give their lives for others. (Sorry its ANZAC Day here in Australia. Lest we Forget).

Adam

Bruce Hanat
    BPL Member

@bhanat

When Mallory said "because its there" I don't believe he was talking to any specific group either mountaineering or sport. We should consider everyones right to climb. The climb could be considered a "Mountaineering Assent' or a "Guided Assent" each with there own set of bragging rights.

Robert Mohid

@mohid

Agreed that everyone should have a right to follow their dream.

But keep in mind that these environments can only support a small human footprint. Full, unrestricted access to everest, or any other great peak would turn it into another high altitude trash heap.

The questions about who can/should go need to be asked.

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

Steven Evans…
    PLease keep us informed about your Nepal trek. I am loosly throwing around the idea myself if funds permit.
    U/L trekking around Everest region. Although Annapurna looks nice too….
    Thanks.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Andrew,
    Nepal is highly recommended in my books. I leave next week and I'll be back in June so I can keep you updated, but judging by the comments in this thread, it may not be a popular topic.
    Steve

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

I just finished watching the bbc series with Michael Palin on the the Himalayas. It's pretty decent entertainment, watching him sing the lumberjack song to a revered Bhutan poet/musician was great,… irrevent, but really funny.
    If you are trekking to Everest Base take a look at Island Peak as a very reachable goal.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Larry,
    Yes, It is quite an impressive "bump" in the Himalyas ;)…unfortunatley, I will not be climbing it. Reason: I'll be solo, so if I can't do it by myself (which I can't), I won't be doing it. I'll be pitter pattering around the high passes and visiting an old friend (guide – who will be at Base camp mid May) – Nangpa La is definitely on my list.
    I do climb alot…of rocks, but do not consider myself any type of mountaineer. For me, I don't see too much fun in paying to climb Island Peak with some people I don't know. However, if my friends want to take me up the Khumba Icefall – well, I'll be more then happy.

larry savage
    Spectator

@pyeyo

I understand perfectly about not paying and the solo issue. Very often by being there you can fill a slot for these guides, but I wouldn't climb a yak dung heap with people I didn't know either.
    I'm envious, good luck, and stay relatively healthy.

Anne Flueckiger
    BPL Member

@annefluke

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Got back last night from leading a trek to Everest Base Camp , so I was interested to see this thread.

Steve, the gear list on your website is helpful for folks doing "tea-house trekking" (as we were). If you drink coffee, consider bringing instant espresso to add to the brown water usually served…

Mike, I agree with posts suggesting you could spend your time & money climbing one or many other challenging, beautiful peaks in the Himalaya or elsewhere. But, if it's Everest that interests you, a woman I know decided which company to go with in part by following Everest climbs on-line last year (she already had a fair amount of mountaineering experience).

Paul Tree

@paul_tree

Locale: Wowwww

nice pic off summit post of Imja TseImja Tse ridge top

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Kevin – I couldn't agree more with your comments re. Chimborazo (Ecuador's high point).

The 6000M+ summit cost me a 15 mile bus ride, a few days worth of dried soup and granola and a shared taxi from below the Refugio Whymperer to a Chinese Restaurant in Riobamba. I solo summited the farthest point from the center of the earth at noon and was knocking back a Tsing Tao by 7PM. Try that in the Khumbu!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools