Topic

Recommendations for a 30-45L internal frame pack around 2 pounds?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Recommendations for a 30-45L internal frame pack around 2 pounds?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

I currently have an Osprey Exos 46 in a medium and am interested in exploring other options. It's a little large for my need so I'd prefer something in the 35L range. I'm thinking of getting the Exos in a 34 in a large and hope it fits better since the hip belt on my 46 doesn't fit exactly right.

Anyone have other suggestions? I have a GG Kumo but learned that I like the nice internal frame and especially the airvent that the Exos provides, it's worth the extra pound for me.

Thanks!

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

If you like Osprey and want to stay in that product take a look at the Hornet 32 or 46 in any size of the two your sub 2 lbs . I lost the HYD. bladder and dropped in a piece of T-rest Z lite pad for extra "frame" and I love it.

The 46L (S is 1lbs 8 oz and L is 1 lbs 12) is feather lite and with a Zpack bag and tarptent you won't break 4 lbs.
    You go with a tarp you are Gold.

IMO you get a bullet proof warranty and a pack that is ready to rock!

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I love my Boreas Buttermilk 40, but try and size one up before you commit to it since it's not very adjustable.

Granite Gear is about to come out with the Leopard, and I think the small is like a 39? Not sure, but it's very lightweight and fancy-looking.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks guys, few questions on the hornet. What is the back panel like? Is it vented or just firm foam? Can you fit water bottles in the side pockets and access them while you are walking?

The GG one looks interesting, a little steep on the price though.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I saw a GG Vapor Trail shredded to bits on a thru-hiker who said he wasn't happy with the durability. The new one looks tougher though, so take that with a grain of salt. Also, your mileage may vary from his experience.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

You can get a feel for the pad at osprey,s site to get a look if that helps
    Basically it is formed foam and pretty comfy the stretch match sides are very tall so not good for bottles
    I use a zpack strap bag( Not technical name) for 20oz bottle

Austin Lundquist

@alundquist

Thanks, it looks like the Hornet is going to be a little short on the torso for me. Thanks for the idea though

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Do you have an REI or someplace you can try before you buy?
    If not, I think Deuter offers a vented back that has an adjustable torso length.

ETA: I was wrong. Only adjustable vented back they have is a 42liter and it weighs over 3 lbs.

Also, I may have interpreted your meaning wrong when you say the hipbelt doesn't fit right. I assumed it was a torso length issue, but maybe it was just the design? If the later, then you probably want to look at other brands, as a smaller version of what you have will probably have the same issue.

Deuter does have a 38 liter vented back for 2lb. 11oz.

http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpack-details.php?category=119&artnr=44841&title=Spectro%20AC%2038%20w%20%2F%20NOLS

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I've got a couple of packs for sale in the Gear Swap forum.

One is a BPL Absaroka size medium. It's still new. Fits your volume and approximate weight range.

The other is an Osprey Atmos 25 size medium. It's a little smaller than what you're after, but has the Osprey suspension and back panel you like. It's a pretty nifty panel loading pack with a robust suspension.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Will Rietveld's review , EH's website .

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How about a Vaude Ultralight Rock 35 for $58? $38 if you get their email coupon deals.

http://m.sierratradingpost.com/mobile/vaude-rock-ultralight-35-backpack-internal-frame~p~4184v/

35 liters, removeable frame sheet, 2lbs 6oz.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

I'd take a look at something from Hyperlite Mountain Gear. They make great packs in fairly rugged Cuben. I have the Porter 4400, and it carries very well, at less than 2 lbs. They have a range of choices that should satify you.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/

Austin Lundquist

@alundquist

Thanks for all the advice. Lots of those packs look good, I've fallen in love with the mesh ventilated back though and I'm worried that I won't like a firm foam back.

Do any other packs in this weight range outside osprey have the ventilated backs? The deuter one looks nice but its a little heavy…

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools