Topic

New montbell site

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New montbell site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I cant find any weights listed anywhere?

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

When you click on an item detail there are several tabs. Click on the TECH SPECS tab and the weight will be listed.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

where are the tabs located?

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

At least using my Mac's Safari browser(latest version), there are no tech spec tabs to be found.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

im using a mac as well, ill go see if i can find it on my PC

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

That solved it.

sry mac users

Ulrika Dahlin

@ulrika

It didn't work on Safari, but it works on Firefox on Mac.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Funny, I just tried with the Mac versions of Firefox 2 and Microsquash Explorer.
    No joy.

This is on a new Intel Mac.

update—pre-mature on Firefox—Joy at last. Glad I'm getting the Cocoon Pants.

Ulrika Dahlin

@ulrika

It works on Firefox 1.5.0.11 on a Macbook.

But on the old website you could view the weight on the overview, without having to click any tabs, much better. On the other hand now it looks like you have some more info?

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Intel Mac you get the Tech Specs but they do not appear on Safari 2.0.4

Hmmmmm

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

"Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Intel Mac you get the Tech Specs but they do not appear on Safari 2.0.4

Hmmmmm"

Likely as not, it's a CSS standard or something else that Webkit (the rendering engine that Safari is built on) does not support yet. That or… Apple really hasn't updated the version of Webkit that they use in a while. If you use Shirra or Sunrise (both Profiled in MarMerc's Freeloader Friday Specialized Browsers), you can choose to use them with the Webkit nightly build which likely works. (Note, I *think* it's possible to update Safari to the new webkit, but that's a little beyond my ken)

dislaimer: I've not actually had an opportunity to use either of the browsers yet as my work computer is a M$ machine and I don't get on my home computer much (I LOVE macs) as when I get home at night about all I want to do is play with my son and talk with my wife.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Pretty bad for a company of their size not to do proper browser testing.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

The code actually looks pretty good… javascript is over-used where CSS would suffice… but the code is good and mostly standards compliant… save for some invalid ID characters (slashes) and unclosed input and img tags.

The issue is that the author has used text-indent:-9999px; to hide text equivilants for the tab links offscreen… so Safari is moving the entire link -9999px to the left… instead of just the text contained within the link. I've often found using text-indent to hide text problematic and unpredictable. Better to wrap the text inside the links with another element (like <span>) and then write a declaration like…

#dispCont div.tabCont h3 a span {
    position:absolute;
    left:-9999px;
    }

I'm not familiar enough with the W3 spec to know if Safari is behaving properly or not… but the fact remains that simple browser testing would have caught this rather nasty issue. Safari accounts for the **vast** majority of Mac users.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

>>Safari accounts for the **vast** majority of Mac users.

To be sure, David. I hate dancing between browsers. The sites I generally frequent ( and they are many due to professional related work) are in the vast majority of cases, Safari functional. These include the many European and E. Asian design and manufacturing sites I have to interface with.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

"The code actually looks pretty good…"

Okay, so I didn't understand most of what you said… but I have a lot of respect for whatever you said.

Anyhow, many corporations do ignore macs as a whole, unfortunately…

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Yep, that's pretty sad. Perhaps a few messages via their contact form will let them know to get it fixed.

-Mark

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

I actually did send them a messsage. Very polite. Just pointed out the error and suggested that they do more testing on the Mac. I even gave them the solution :) With any luck… it will get forwarded to someone who can actually fix it. It's a 2 minute fix. Super easy… if you have access to the files.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Thanks, David. I had also emailed Montbell, earlier today, and brought their attention to this thread.

Now to see how much they care.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I just went to the Montbell site using Safari and the tabs appeared and worked. I'll betcha someone really appreciated David's code!

kevin davidson

@kdesign

So they did. Good work David and thank you, Montbell.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Wow. I was extremely skeptical that I had anything to do with this… so I went to the Montbell site and took a look. The code is exactly that same. Nothing has changed. Did you run that recent Mac OS X update? Maybe there was something in that which changed Safari's behaviour. Anyway… cool that it's working now in any case.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

David, the only OSX update I've run lately was a security patch. Would that have influenced the browser behavior in this case?

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I haven't run the latest update yet. Something changed…I went to Montbell's site at home and at work and it now works when it didn't before and neither of my machines have changed. Someone must have sacrificed a rubber chicken to the coding gods :).

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

"I just went to the Montbell site using Safari and the tabs appeared and worked. I'll betcha someone really appreciated David's code!"

Yay! I wonder if David can score some free gear? ;)

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

FYI… just for this from Montbell:

"David,

Thank you for your feedback. Last week was week #1 for our new website, and as you can imagine we expected a few bugs here are there. I believe that the MAC Safari issue has been repaired. Please let me know if you have any additional comments or questions.

Thank you"

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools