Topic

Meats for Backpacking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Meats for Backpacking?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

What's your favorite meat to take when backpacking?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Normally salami and summer sausage as it keeps well.

Alex Romanko
    BPL Member

@aromanko

Locale: Rattlesnake

Uncle Mike's beef sticks from walnutcreekfoods.com or sopresatta salami. Both keep well and don't stink too much.

Paul Ensley
    Spectator

@palooka

Locale: Indiana

I almost always take a couple Slim Jim Beef n Cheese's. I like the single serve packages.

Slim Jim Beef n Cheese

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I sometimes carry fresh meat for shorter trips. Sausage cooked over a campfire is amazing.

But yeah, dry salami is a great backpacking food. Beef jerkey is pretty low in calories.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Leslie Erickson

@lesliegericksongmail-com

I'm starting to put together my menu and prepare my meals for the JMT this summer. I'm new to all this, and I have a few books that seem to be good references. I was wondering if anyone uses these freeze-dried meats from Costco (or similar) when putting these meals together.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

(I have to put these all together to be included in my resupply packages and the initial load before I leave home the middle of May, even though I won't begin the JMT till July 3. I'll be hiking in southern Utah and Washington state for the 6 weeks leading up to the JMT, so it has to be done early.)

Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

Thanks everyone. I've decided on salami, I think.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Hormel bacon pieces. It is all pre-cooked and the pieces are smaller than my fingernail, so it goes good cooked with rice and other things. There is a similar generic product in my supermarket, also sealed in a plastic bag, for $2.50, and most of the packages hold 2.4 to 2.6 ounces.

Sometimes people see me eating it out of the bag and think that it must be chewing tobacco.

–B.G.–

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I go for the good stuff, and since I live in Portland, anything from Olympic Provisions

olympic

paired with Dubliner cheese and crackers…

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Homemade venison jerky

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Damn, this stuff does look good. I often take a French dried sausage that holds up very well on the trail.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

That sopressata looks outstanding. If I'm going to go with some sort of cured meats I tend to agree it is worth getting good stuff.

tom lakner
    BPL Member

@lakneremu

Locale: midwest

Homemade emu jerky !!!!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Salami with white mold casing is the best. Must have a decent knife. Individual wrapped cheese and a stack if whole grain tortillas never gets old. Throw some deltaco hot sauce on it if you dare!

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Rodger- Wow bud those are some difficulties your having with your salami. I think the source of your issue is not your salami but your choice of knife. Any decent knife should very easily open a vacume sealed package. Slicing a the salami can be done on a log(cutting board)and again with a decent sharp knife should be really easy. If your hands get greasy just wash them or use hand sanitiser, if your backpacking you should have soap or sanitizer.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I love the stuff! that and just about anything honey stinger makes. The chews are amazing and so are the waffles.

Oh meat hmm. Bacon and tender loin. Only some times in the summer but every time in the winter.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools