Topic

2.9 ounce mosquito net for tarps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2.9 ounce mosquito net for tarps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Looks like Sea to Summit is upping their game on weight savings. They're coming out with a 2.9 ounce net tent that looks like it will fit under some tarps. It doesn't have a floor, but a groundsheet that you probably have already placed inside will be pretty dang bug proof, and super light. I don't think it's no-see-um mesh though, but it is permithrin treated.

Note: pictures seem to still be of the older model net.

http://www.rei.com/product/849594/sea-to-summit-nano-mosquito-pyramid-insect-shield-net-shelter

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I find it is worth the extra couple ounces to have the attached floor of other bugnets.
    There tends to be gaps on nets that just hang and tend to sag against your skin.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

It would be easy to make a Tyvek floor/ground cloth, cut to fit inside and just put rocks in the corners to spread it out. You could stake the corners and use some shock cord on the top corners, so you can crawl in and snap them over the stakes.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

The bottom hem is elasticized so it will supposedly snug around your pad more than the old model. How well it does this in real life is yet to be seen.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I have used the single and double of previous versions of this net.

My previous statement was that it is difficult, but not impossible to have a nice taught, enclosed hang.

If you are going to carry a groundcloth anyway, your not really saving much weight. Why not have it attached?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

I totally hear you about the sewn in floor, Stephen. Most times it is superior.

For sure, if this wasn't so light, it wouldn't be worth it. But with a light ground sheet, you're looking at maybe 5 ounces tops, and still have a bit of room inside. And price is relatively cheap.

I think where this might be useful are the times of the year when bugs aren't out in constant full force. In camp, you could hang out under your tarp on your ground sheet and keep the net stashed away. You'll have lots of room. As night fell, you could deploy the net to sleep bug-free.

But then again, I've never actually used a net like this, so I might be talking out my butt!

Oh, I do have a question for you though. How far is the peak from the head end? The website says its "asymmetrical" for better head room, but what does that look like in reality? Meaning, if you dropped a plumb line from the peak to the floor, and measured from there up to the head end, how far away is that?

It also says the height is adjustable. Does that actually work?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Re: "But with a light ground sheet, you're looking at maybe 5 ounces tops, and still have a bit of room inside.":

I think my SMD Meteor bivy weighs 6 oz, if I remember correctly. An MLD Serenity is maybe 7 oz. Both of these also provide better splash protection.

Re: "And price is relatively cheap": A very good point indeed. And probably a little more flexibility than an all-in-one.

Re: "How far is the peak from the head end?

It has been a while, and I don't think I have the single version any more. They may have changed the dimensions from the version I have.
    There is a lot of flexibility in how high/low or wide/narrow you want it.
    When staked out and hung taut, it is quite roomy. I don't have specifics, but the mesh is well away from your face and arms when hung well.

You would probably be able to easily modify it to fit your particular use. I used mine for mostly cowboy camping and/or inside tent platforms and AT shelters.

Another thing to consider is the Equinox Mantis. It's a little heavier, but I liked the way it set up so quick. Great if bugs aren't always a problem.
    You can't beat the price. I think I got mine used for $20.

The Sea-to-Summit isn't as easy to set up, but is roomy.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks Steven.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools