Topic

Caldera Cone and Starlyte stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Caldera Cone and Starlyte stove

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 101 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Diane

I use my Sidewinder Ti-Tri + Starlyte + 1.3 Evernew pot without the stakes and if I prop up the bottom of the cone 1/4 inch to let in more air it is only a little slower than the 12-10, but more efficient. Doing this I use 12 grams of fuel to boil 16oz of 55 degree water. Test your setup with pencils propping up the cone, I think you will like it.

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

Hi all,

I'm also new to this thread but having just gotten a Sidewinder ti-tri (with 1.3L evernew) I thought I'd revisit. I took it out for 2 trips, love how well the cone works, hate the hell out of the stakes.

If I get the Starlyte and fuel is less of a priority than speed, I should get the original one, correct?

Thanks!

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

Yes the original one would be the one to go with. :)

John RB
    BPL Member

@biggyshorty

Thanks James! I'm seriously blown away at how this little cone has changed my camping experience… I am using their supplied alcohol stove but intrigued by starlyte ;-)

James DeGraaf
    BPL Member

@jdegraaf

Locale: Bay Area

The greatest thing about the Starlite is the ability to forego the stakes as pot supports and get the full benefit of the cone. Enjoy it, I know I do :)

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Sidewinder as well. I understand the stakes can be a bit hard to set up. Am I understanding correctly that using a Starlyte alleviates this problem? And I'm not sure which is the "original"… Is the original the model of Starlyte that TD sells as an alternative to the 12-10? Thanks,

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

And now all this commentary has me wondering what the boil times would be with the same beer can/Sidewinder combo and the Brian Green modified Gram Cracker tab holder with ESBIT. Hmmmm?? Anyone out there tried this?

Personally I use a small 3 cup anodized aluminum pot and lid with my Sidewinder. Maybe the smaller beer can setup would boil a lot faster. My needs are boiling water AND cooking (like spaghetti), thus the small pot and not a beer can mug.

Viewing 7 posts - 101 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools