Topic

Hiking Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jason Mahler
    BPL Member

@jrmahler

Locale: Michigan

I have traditionally hiked in 13.5oz warm up pants (nylon outside, thin mesh inside), which work ok in the early spring and fall, but are a bit hot in the summer. Also, they don't dry very fast and weigh a ton when they are wet. I prefer pants to keep my legs dry and keep bugs off of me and was hoping there was something out there that could be a bit lighter and maybe more functional. What I am looking at right now are:

1) arc'teryx rampart – I see these pop up most often as a great pant that dries quickly and at ~10oz, a bit lighter

2) Rail Rider Eco Mesh – These look awesome for keeping it cool and have a permithin coating and dry quick. Similar weight to arc-teryz.

3) Luke's Silnylon pant – These are crazy light (~3oz) and a good cost, but I wonder if they will bebreathable enough since they are rain proof.

4) Montbell Dynamo – These are what I really want due to low weight and breathable (how much different than Silnylon?), but I am "stocky", so they would only fit me if I grew ~6".

Any opinions are more than appreciated.

Mal Hooper
    BPL Member

@malligator

Locale: Valley of the Sun

I love my Arc Rampart pants. They're very light and the material is thin enough that I can actually roll the legs all the way up past my knees for makeshift shorts. I also love that they have non-billowy cargo pockets on the thighs so you can put stuff in them when needed, but when they're empty they lay flat. I usually throw my wool beanie in there when I have to put my climbing helmet on, for example.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

For years, REI has had some cargo pocket pants called Sahara. I think they have been trying to introduce some called Adventure pants. I have maybe four pairs of these. The oldest ones are getting old and brittle, but the sewing maching keeps them intact.

–B.G.–

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’m (ahem) stocky as well and use the North Face convertible pants (I’ll double check which line when I return home later). They make the same pants without the zip-offs so I assume that my comments on fit and performance are true for both.

The weight is close to what you are looking at. The fit and freedom of movement is excellent. I’ve owned them for >9months and I wear them almost every time I go hiking/camping; the wear on them so far has been satisfactory. They dry quickly and feel light.

I like that the inside of my cargo pockets are mesh; they double as my sock drier on days when the weather isn’t cooperating. I also like that I have a front pocket which zips closed.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

Not sure how, but I routinely rip the stitching on the backside of my pants… I think I squat too aggressively or maybe my dehydrated meat induced farts weaken then fabric. Either way, I'm currently using Terrain Trousers by CragHoppers, because they have a stretchy'ish material in the butt. At 345g they are a little heavy, but they are proving durable enough that I don't have to tape up my pants anymore.

You can also pay more than twice as much and get a Bear Grylls branded version that is heavier and has extra pockets to store urine filled rattlesnake skins and zebra eyeballs.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Look up the Mountain hardwear Mesa pant. Great pants! Cheaper than Arcteryx.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

No, really!

They're made of 4.1 oz. nylon- not stretchy but there's a good crotch gusset and loads of mobility. Good, deep pockets with an extra zippered pocket on the right front. Cinch cord at the cuffs, and a zipper almost up to the knee for easy on and off. Double knees, though I've had mine for years and they haven't torn yet.

On sale now,for $40… Worth a look!

steven franchuk

@surf

For years I have been using REI convertable pants. REI calls the current version Saharra pants. In warm weather you unzip the lower sections to convert the pants to shorts. Most of the time I have had bugs or heat but not both in the Sierra. If I encounter both Ill hike in the shorts and use DEET. My old pair weighs 13oz. Not any lighter than what you have. However the REI pants are built to last.

The silnylon pants are waterproof but not breathable. They won't work in hot weather.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

nice, light softshell (10 oz)- very comfy, breathable, have some stretch to them, sturdy, good pockets, easy to roll up and have a very good DWR finish

I wear them summer through winter (just add a base layer underneath for winter)- probably a little warm for dedicated hot desert wear, but other than that they fill the bill

Bill Wang
    BPL Member

@billwang

Locale: SF Bay Area

I like the ArcTeryx Palisade pants. They are bit lighter, have zip cargo and also include a very flat belt that doesn't get in the way of my hipbelt. They seem to be very sturdy and abrasion resistant for their weight. They dry very quickly and are mosquito proof. They are expensive, however.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Have a look at Prana "Zion" pants.

Not sure of the weight but feel light enough. Dry very quickly, in fact don't seem to get wet. The legs roll up and snap into a capris-type (or man-pris, if you prefer) leg. Very cool dual-access cargo pocket that you can open easily while seated. Integrated belt.

James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Locale: south

I have both the zion pant and the rampart's. I love the material on the zion, it soft and stretchy (marketed toward climbers I think), neg. little pull buckle at your waist gets in the way of pack belt. Ramparts are awsome, airy, lightweight, dry quickly, flat (instead of curved) front pockets allow easy entry under a pack belt, the flat cargo pockets can hold more than they look like they can, there are two waist snaps with the waist band being really wide, rides well under pack belt. They are pricey but you get what you pay for!!

dave e
    BPL Member

@hipass

Locale: Los Angeles

I use only convertible pants cause of the better ventilation.I have some north face heavy duty ones for winter.I have ex officio and rei sahara pants that i recently bought for 6$ a piece at goodwill.Pants and baselayer tops i will never buy new or retail.The pants rarely show up at goodwill and in my size but last month i was in luck and got both pairs.I also got some new ramparts there for 6$ but i need convertibles so got rid of them.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I've been having good luck with the Sahara side-zip convertibles from REI. They're light, have pockets where I want them (cargo) and do multi-duty as hiking shorts, swim shorts and then long pants when the bugs come out and temp goes down. They come with a nice, light belt and in long inseam sizes, too.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

dead bird ramparts/palisades …

just make sure you get em at 50% off ;)

or any other brand that fits you for less … everyone and their mom makes light nylon/softshell pants

fit is everything as alaways

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

The RR Ecomesh or whatever they are called are very flexible. I wear mine year round. Zip up the sides for cold weather and zipped down for hot summer.

I used to hike in convertibles or shorts, but I find the RRs to be cool/ventilated and I like the way they protect my legs from brambles, bug bites and bee stings.

They are light and dry very fast.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> 13.5oz warm up pants (nylon outside, thin mesh inside)

Cut out most or all of the mesh to reduce weight and dry time

> they don't dry very fast and weigh a ton when they are wet

You're sure they are all synthetic and not a cotton blend?

> Luke's Silnylon pant

Def NOT. Those are rain pants.

> Montbell Dynamo

You could always hem the legs if they're too long. Those seem closest to the BPL Thorofare pants (4 oz) for when mine wear out. I wear the Thorofares no matter the temp or conditions so I prefer true pants, not convertible.

I bought my son a pair a decent nylon pants from Campmor last year. White Sierra I think was the brand. Couldn't find the same style this year, just convertible. :(

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hot weather= Ex Officio for me.

I have several pairs of REI Sahara zip offs and they work just fine. Outdoor Equinox pants are good and come plain or convertible and sans cargo pockets of you don't like the Inspector Gadget look.

One brand that isn't mentioned much is Gramicci and their Quick-Dry pants. They are dead simple pull-on nylon pants with a couple hand pockets and a light web belt. They are built climbing style with no fly and a gusseted crotch. The make the same pants in cotton, so watch the listing. They are hard to find.

I found a pair of Columbia Silver Ridge II pants and they work for me too. The fabric has a textured weave and they have alight dry feel. No ankle zips on the ones I have.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Another +1 for the ArcTeryx Ramparts.

Btw, I think I've seen them on sale at REI every year for the last several years. Can't remember the time of year, though.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

I love my Craghoppers Nosilife Cargo's And the Rail Riders Versa Tac Lights look nice as well (but the Smalls are to big for me I'm 6'2" with a 29" waist)

Andre

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools