Topic

Steripen Opti still the way to go?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Steripen Opti still the way to go?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have a Classic also but barely use it as I think its too heavy, its good to know that other folk are stilling using them :-)
    I tend to switch between the Steripen and one of 3 different filters in my gear box, also just bought Aquamira tabs to try out.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Mike,
    Which battery tester do you use? And would you recommend it? I've got a bunch of batteries that could use some testing.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

The Classic maybe heavier than other Steripens, but only by a couple ounces. It is still lighter than chemicals or most long distance filters.

Chemicals require that you carry treated water several miles before you can drink and so averages out to be much heavier.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

…and the important part is that it uses AA batteries and not those stupid CR123 batteries… which might be great for some gadgets, but not hiking gadgets… when was the last time you were in some small trail town store on the PCT/CDT/AT that had those things!!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Thanks to John for the comparison link.

Here's a clarifying quote from that link"

"Similar Models: Classic, Traveler, Emergency & Defender are the same device just targeted to different needs with just a few variances. UV lamp on the Classic & Defender lasts 8,000 treatments while Traveler & Emergency lasts 3,000 treatments (noted below). The Classic comes with AA Lithium batteries included, while Traveler & Emergency do not come included with batteries. Classic now comes included with a pre-filter, while Traveler, Emergency & Defender do not. We are asked this a lot so we have added this info to make your selection easier."

"Military Products: The SteriPEN Defender is the same product, same materials as the SteriPEN Classic. Only difference is Defender is assembled in the United States. Protector Opti is the same device and materials as Adventurer Opti."

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Mine is the one that came with the pre filter and a Nalegene, I say I have about 50 litres treated with mine if at all.

Must get it back out of my gear box.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Chris it's the ZTS Mini Multi-Battery tester- tests all of the common batteries, including CR123's

http://www.batteryjunction.com/zts-mbt.html

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

A two year old review on this site complained that the Classic drained batteries even when it wasn't being used, but the Opti had solved that problem. The Opti was preferred. Maybe a newer version of the Classic remedied this problem as well.

Bob: yeah the Steripen comparison page tends to leave me more confused than before. I wish that Steripen would just put all of the good features on one–or every–model; that is, an easy to use switch and easy to read status lights (one model seems to have smiley faces that are visible in sunlight, unlike the indicator lights on other models).

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I think the battery draining issues with all Steripens was resolved with the newer electronics a few years back.

It was really only an issue if you left your batteries in all the time. I always removed mine when I'm not backpacking anyway, to avoid any corrosion issues that happens with any battery operated device.
    So I never had that problem.

Texas Chinooks

@texaschinooks

Locale: DFW

I'm going to get the Steripen Ultra because it looks like you might be able to stick it in the top of a Platypus bottle (the ones you can roll up when not used) and then invert the bottle. The shape of the Ultra is such that it seals the top unlike my old Steripen Adventurer (which was sadly left beside a swollen river) which had to be held in a much larger opening by the tips of my fingers and wiggled about.

Also, in bright sunlight it was difficult to see if the Adventurer actually turned on.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"The shape of the Ultra is such that it seals the top unlike my old Steripen Adventurer"

"Also, in bright sunlight it was difficult to see if the Adventurer actually turned on."

You've named the two biggest flaws that I've found with the adventurer. I think they really screwed up when they didn't offer it with the PET bottle compatible collar.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

The CR123 batteries are indeed pricy if you buy them at a local store… I now buy mine on the internet… about 1/3 or 1/4 of the price!!! But you have to buy a few… though they have a shelf life of several years…

bill

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I have the Opt Adventurer… yes it is a disappointment that it does not have the round rubber ring that allows it to seal to a Platy bladder… but…

I found 1/2 liter bottles with openings a little bigger than the standard water bottle… found them in the grocery store where they sell vitamin water… nice bottles… well… the Opt just fits inside the mouth of these bottles… and… I find that in the Sierra (btw… it's NOT Sierras guys)… there are so many streams and lakes that most of the time I can get by just fine with only treating 1/2 liter at a time… saves 1 lb over carrying 1 liter of water!!!

Works for me…

I take a few iodine tablets as backup…. but have never needed them and find that one set of fresh CR123 batteries is reliably good for an 8 day trip for one person… including treating cooking water…

no issues with the Opt Adventurer… has worked flawlessly for a 40 days of backpacking…

bill

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

+ Opti Adventurer

I have used it extensively and has never let me down. It has been fully submerged many times and continues to work. I have got at least 14 days of water from one set of batteries. Carry tablets as back up. Have never used them yet.

Derrick

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools