Topic

Help – NH Hut Traverse Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Help – NH Hut Traverse Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

My wife and I are planning a NH hut traverse (Greenleaf – Zealand) this summer (July/Aug). We were trying to plan our packs, and we are thinking about what to bring along.

Since spring is here, we can start hitting the trail. We are looking to do some dry-runs with the packweights on dayhike lengths.

Should I just basically pack for an overnight, but without the shelter and sleep system, and less food?

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Hi,
    Think you might want to contact the AMC for this one, but you might want to pack summer weight sleeping bags. Think they give you a wool blanket and that's it. It gets pretty chilly up there at night even mid summer. Probably wont need stove unless you plan on cooking on the trail, huts up there tend to vary in services offered.
    Have a great trip.
    Jim

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I would take my regular day hiking kit with the addition of..
    -2 40-50 degree sleeping bags, change of cloths to wear around the hut and last but not least ear plugs

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

I'm going up into the huts from Thurs – Sat of this week; Madison Springs, Lakes of the Clouds, Mizpah Springs.

With the weather looking to be in the 40s (lows in the 30s) with windy conditions (25+ mph), I'm wondering if I should pack heavier.

Weather Reports:
    TWC
    NWS
    MWO

I initially was going to pack a LS shirt, wind shirt, and fleece vest.

Now, I'm thinking about packing my Marmot rain jacket and possibly my Mtn Hardwear Windpro fleece.

I may just compromise and take the vest and rain jacket. That should keep me warm enough.

I'm also packing running tights and rain pants for the legs, JIC.

Are there any alternate suggestions out there?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Joe, sounds like you have thought this out well, but here's my 2 cents.. I have not hiked that Hut to Hut traverse, but done similar hikes here. I always carry 1 emergency shelter and at least 1 summer bag for two hikers even if I plan to stay in a lodge which provides a bag. I carry a 9oz goretex bivy sack and a 1 lb down bag, both wide/long models which can accommodate two people in an emergency. Reason being I might get lost off trail, be stuck between huts due to an injury, or have to bail out on an escape route (non-trail route back to civilization) and so might have to bivouac.

As for clothing, I recommend a system of 5 thin layers, just vary the thicknesses based on record lows. L/S base, windshirt, breathable(not windblocker) fleece 100 for on the go insulation, maybe a high-loft jacket for times when I'm stationary, and a WP/B rain jacket. If lows reach records I can double the fleece under the jacket.
    Maybe that's overkill for the altitudes and temps you expect in Summer? I thought it would be for Japan but last weekend I was at 3200 meters and the wind was whipping; with the windchill it was about -9F and I was wishing I brought my Thermawrap in addition to my fleece!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools