Topic

WOW New Bulin multiple head stove!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WOW New Bulin multiple head stove!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Hoskin

@mattgugel

Locale: Kanangra-Boyd NP

Has anyone else come across this somewhat light ( 298gm) beast??????!!!!
    triple head burner!
    bulin1bulin2bulin3

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Wow! That otta get the coffee water going or snow melted. Maybe it will be faster than my old MSR FireFly.
    Duane

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

slightly off topic –

Two years ago, I went with a group of 12 to climb My Olympus and Mt Rainier as a self guided group. The trip was organized and led by a long time member of our backpacking club that teaches mountaineering and stuff.

For 12 people, we had two 6 – 8 qt aluminum pots for melting snow and for cooking. Under each pot the trip leader had constructed a board that held three MSR Dragonfly stoves in a triangular configuration. They ran simultaneously to provide enough BTUs to melt snow, boil water, cook food, etc.

I'm not sure where he got the idea. Some acquaintances say they've seen similar setups on mountaineering expeditions. It was a HUGE pain to operate these monstrosities. Even with three Dragonfly stoves going full blast, it took a long time to melt snow and bring it to a boil. Inevitably, one of the fuel bottles would lose pressure or run out of fuel, and it was fiddly and/or dangerous to move everything to service the misbehaving stove.

Maybe a white gas version of this CRAZY stove would work better? I dunno. I think I'd rather see our expedition team break into smaller groups, and use single stoves and smaller pots to melt snow and cook.

Anyway, seeing this three headed stove reminded me of that expedition.

What will they come up with next?

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

That thing's a beast. I wonder: does/can a canister expel gas with enough flow and pressure to work well with that much stove head? I wonder about when it's cold out, too.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Single burner stoves drawing fuel out make the canister cold. I wonder if this stove would allow you to chill your brew on trips by placing the can on the canister?
    Duane

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

With that much fuel flow I bet the valve freezes in cold/wet. I've had my Primus Spider freeze up at the valve at ~10F inverted. I've seen a 4head propane stove freeze up. It was a cheapie so maybe it was the unit but the temp was only 30ish.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

The pictures don't make it totally clear, but I don't see a preheat tube on there, and if so this is not a cold weather stove.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Wow! What a crazy contraption. Still, multi-burner stoves are something that have been created from time to time, usually for "industrial" applications.

This one would cause a lot of canister chilling and wouldn't be much good in cooler weather. In warmer weather where there's plenty of pressure, I guess you'd do fine, but you'd better bring a 450g sized canister.

I guess my first question is "why?" If you've got an application where you need lots of heat, why would you want a lightweight little backpacking type stove? What is the intended use of this stove? Maybe snow melting, but as has been stated, this isn't set up for cold weather operation.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools