Topic

Velcro Fusion

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Velcro Fusion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Hey Guys…Has anybody used Velcro Fusion? I'm looking to add some velcro tabs to the collar exterior of an eVent cycling jacket I have.

I grabbed a Showers Pass eVent hood, which attaches with Velcro, to add to the jacket I have. I cannot (or don't want to) sew thru, as the collar is microfleece lined.

The Fusion "irons on" and cures with moisture, full strength in 24 hours.

Thoughts? Experiences??

TIA
    -Mark in St. Louis

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Haven't tried this, but my concern would be melting the eVent membrane, protective layer (essentially very fine NoSeeUm mesh bonded to eVent membrane) or face fabric and the microfleece using an iron hot enough to activate the adhesives. Although, if the temp needed to adhere is less or the same as temp recommended to refresh DWR of garment by iron, then it should be safe.

I've used non adhesive Velcro and glued it on using a dab of McNett Seam Grip. It will hold up to much abuse (I use it to repair peeling seam tape on my eVent jacket and add Velcro closures to open pockets).

Just dab a bit on the Velcro, let it sit a bit and get tacky, then press it into fabric and clamp/clothes pin or whatever to keep pressure until it dries. Plus, you'll now have a tube of Seam Grip for future repairs and projects if you don't already.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey…The Fusion uses an iron set on "steam" and should be similar to ironing eVent for "renewal". I would use a damp towel between the iron and the inner fabric if I do it.

Also, I am considering using the sew-on Velcro along with either seam-grip or E-6000 adhesive, but was hoping someone has direct experience with the Fusion.

TA
    -Mark

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

Unless they've drastically improved it in the last couple years, it's unlikely to work well. If there's any sort of coating, it won't stick well, and it doesn't hold up to abuse well. The fusing is fussy, and I had only partial success with it, on a much less demanding material. Gluing on with seam sealer (clever!) is probably more likely to work.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Thanx Guys…

-Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools