Topic

Energy dense food for hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Energy dense food for hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Hi comrades,

Well, do you consider hiking as action sport? I think hiking, even if not tactical is sport. You still have to accomplish next 15-20 miles each day.

As I wrote in other post I'm passionate about sports. I know that when I have a long run, fast climb or other intense effort to do, I need carbohydrates. Not fats.

In my recent hike-climb to Hermon mount I took 3 snickers bars (those with chocolate and nuts) :)
    The hike was not very hard but not easy either. 20km (~12mi) with 1700 elevation gain (5577 feet). I almost run it all the way up. Those snickers killed me. I suffered from bad feeling in stomach all the way. I understood how stupid it was to take fat rich bars.

Now, when I see others discussing how many calories in different foods, it's obvious in fat you get 7000 per kilo, but you can't eat that during the day. Maybe in the evening after you set up the camp.

What do you guys eat during hiking?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

For high intensity hikes Start Here.

For trail hiking 20 to 25 miles a day I rely on bars and junk food. PowerBar's "Harvest" line has a good amount of protein and work well for me as they are oat based versus soy based (CliffBar).

Once on the trail I eat a bar at 9, 11, and 1. Then a 2 ounce portion of Chex Party Mix Bold, another bar, then 2 ounces of potato chips (stackable from a can that pack well) to get me into camp. The Chex and Chips are salty, provide a change of pace from bars, and are high in calories. All together I get in about 1600 – 2000 calories. (I lose between 1/2 to 3/4 pounds per day of body weight to fat utilization. I rarely hike more than 14 consecutive days.)

If I start to tire on the trail I start eating every 1.5 hours. On cold and rainy days I might add in 2 ounces of a sugar (Not high fructose corn syrup) based candy like Sours or Jelly Belly's for instant heat and to brighten the day.

It is definitely a HYOH experiment to figure out what works for you, and that only happens by trial and error AND good record keeping.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

In my experience, those who can cover 15, 20 or even 25 miles over the span of 10-12 hours at a comfortable cruising speed have very little trouble eating a regular diet during the day, or even a slightly higher fat diet, with generous amounts of things like whole milk, cheese and nuts. I'm comfortable up to ~ 45% of calories from fat, but that's probably more than most people would want to eat.

Trail-running is a very different story. Even many of those who can withstand a pretty normal diet up to moderately high exercise intensity on a bicycle can't do it with the churning of a run.

Things certainly vary from person to person, but among the ten or so people with whom I've packed extensively, all of them can eat regular food while doing 15 mile trail days at moderate altitudes. (Yes, there may be a little self-selection at work.) Change the conditions and you change the story, at different rates for different people.

Change enough of them, and you'll come back to a more invariant outcome. The combination of high intensity exercise, churning/bouncing, altitude, and food different from what one's used to is a potent recipe for indigestion. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

If you do any research on Aerobic (Low to Moderate intensity) vs Anaerobic (high intensity) and how your body works in each case you learn that your body is vastly more efficient in an Aerobic state and better at using Fat stores for energy. So just remember that having a pace that keeps you in an Aerobic state is best if you want to efficiently use higher Fat content foods and stored Fat in your body.

This is why for long duration activities it's best to keep a pace that keeps your heart rate in it's aerobic state (generally if you can carry on a conversation then you are working aerobically) and you will perform better with the food you do eat.

Reading your original post it sounds like you may have felt bad because you were performing in an Anaerobic state and therefore your body was not able to process and utilize those candy bars to be used for fuel. Fat rich isn't a problem if you had slowed your pace a little. Otherwise if you insist on maintaining that pace then you better only consume something like energy gels.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"What do you guys eat during hiking?"

Logan Bread.

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools