Topic

Fruity Bars

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

For those who are interested I made some fruity bars.

Fruity Bars

If you are interested in the recipe, have a look at my blog.

Click

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Those look really simple and good, thanks!

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Indeed. 30min and you have these excellent bars

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

These look awesome. Any tips on what kind of meat grinder is needed? I could imagine nuts could be hard on a grinder with plastic gears. Anyone have any experience with basic, low-end grinders?

Cheers,

Bill

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

A cheap all-metal grinder is under $50 and will handle nuts with no problem.

Ask around in your neighborhood. Ask any "oldster" out there. There are a lot of these just gathering dust on the shelves of friends and family, and I'm sure they'd be happy to make a short term loan.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Once you get setup with a small stock of whole ingredients the cost per bar should be significantly more affordable than a store bought Pro Bar equivalent.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

@ William

I bought a normal aluminum meatgrinder in a discounter for 10€. Did want to pay lots of money. If you take care with this meat grinder you can make lots of bars

@ Eugene

I paid for all my ingredients round about 8€. All these together weigh one kilogram.
    If I would buy bars in the shop I would probably pay around 30€ for 20 bars with a weight of 50g.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

A food processer does the job quick and easy……and a LOT easier to clean than a metal grinder I might add.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

They probably taste better coming out the other end of a meat grinder.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

my food processer hat some problem with the sticky dates. so I used the meat grinder

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Are you using Medjool dates? Just wondering. My fp doesn't have issues, it beats them into submission in under a minute ;-) Although I have noticed that the Medjool's I buy from Costco are super soft, which makes for easy processing.

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Don't kniw if my dates are Medjool ones. I think it is a oroblem of my food proceesor. It is a really cheap one from the discounter

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I do miss the old meat grinders though – my Mom and I used to use them to make vegetable relish, that we canned, every year. We had 2 of them. Hated cleaning them though…lol!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I've been kicking around the idea of home made Cliff Bars and these look pretty close in texture.

A couple questions:

The ingredients appear to shelf stable but you've refrigerated the bars. Is this to keep them firm or are you concerned that they will go bad? I'd like to make several of these to take out for a week.

Any chance you've calculated calories per oz?

Thanks for sharing!

Ian

Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

He Ian

I put some in thr refrigerator and the other half I stored in a box in the kitchen to test if they would go bad, but normally I did not store the ingredients in the refrigerator without any problem.

Osrry but I did not calculated the calories per oz.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Ich brauche ein rezept für rucksackreisen jaegerschnitzle auch!

I haven't been back to Germany since 1995 so hopefully that resembled German (had to look up a couple words)!

Well you've motivated me to pick up a grinder. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Why don't you guys try Logan Bread? It is full of just about any fruit or dry fruit such as dates. I've posted the recipe previously. Without any refrigeration, I routinely store it for a few months at a time, and it never spoils unless I mess up and get too much liquid in the batter.

–B.G.–

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Good morning Bob,

I've looked up a couple recipes for Logan Bread and I believe yours was one of them; I'm going to try that as well.

v/r

Ian

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Once you have tried your first batch of Logan Bread, you will know how you want to modify it for your own tastes. You can make it drier if you want it to last longer. I've eaten Logan Bread that was six months old, and it was simply in a ziploc sandwich bag. If you make it too dry, you will break a tooth on it.

Some people like it with more nuts. Some like it with their favorite dry fruit. Some people use more cooking oil to make it seem moister.

Do not use fresh fruit.

–B.G.–

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

really good. A true KISS-product.

I always bring a kind of GORP mixture, but this seems more delicius.

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

Thanks to both Benjamin and Bob for both of these ideas. I look forward to trying them. After reading Bob's original post on Logan Bread, I thought to myself – he knows the secret of Lembas!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools