Topic

Coffee – carry a mug?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Coffee – carry a mug?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

So I'm pondering freezer bag cooking and downsizing to a 700ml titanium pot to heat water and eliminating a bowl from my setup. I currently have a nesting bowl/mug. I cannot survive without coffee, however, even if it is Starbucks Via instant – so was thinking about a smaller titanium mug to next inside the 700ml pot.

First – do all coffee drinkers carry a mug or end up using a nalgene or something else, and if so, what kind do you carry? Titanium (single or double walled?) Or something else (plastic, stainless)?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I carry a small, double walled titanium mug (Snow Peak). I drink single malt out of it at night, and without washing, coffee (strong, since the cup is so small) out of it in the morning. Works well for me.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I carry a SP 600. Heat up water in it, pour into freezer bag. While that rehydrates, heat up some more water for my coffee. One mug as my pot and coffee mug. I've never missed not having another cup.

Justin McCabe

@justinmc

Locale: Southern California

Yup. I carry the usual Snowpeak single wall Ti mug.

I also use it to dip into water sources and funnel into my used sprite bottles, since I use Aquamira and not a filter.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I used to use freezer bags but added a bowl (ziplock screw top) to eat out of. It's easier and in the end probably lighter because you don't have nasty wet bags you're carrying around. I still take a mug (cup off the top of an old thermos) for coffee. I usually boil water for food, add to dehydrated food in bowl, top off the water for coffee, remove from heat and add grounds, let it settle/steep a bit, and pour with the lid on after its settled. The only thing I'd like to change is finding a bowl that either fits inside my pot or is a little bigger than the pot that the pot could fit in, but it's worked for a couple years so isn't too big of a priority.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Small titanium cup. Gotta have my joe.

James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I just use the paper or foam cut I got from the gas station / fast food joint on the drive up to the trail.

My pot is short and fat so these typically doesn't nest but I just fill it with food items before packing and haven't had issues with crushing.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I just drink out of my 900 ml Ti pot

I've thought about getting an additional Ti or Al mug, but too lazy

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

I've been drinking out of my cooking pot, but this year I'm going to rock a small polypropylene stackable GSI cup… because I want to see what it is like to enjoy my tea or coffee while I'm cooking my food.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Just curious for those that are using ti mugs…why? They're expensive and heavy. What am I missing? Head down to the thrift store for some sexy plastic. Cheap and well under an oz. alskdfj

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I take a 400ml mug with my regular cook pot. The mug also forms part of my SUL cook kit, used with a Ti Esbit wing stove, foil for windscreen and lid and a folding Ti spoon. That is great for overnighters or day hikes. The Snowpeak silicone "hot lips" goodie is helpful with a single wall design. Hauling an extra cup isn't SUL, but I want to sip while cooking other stuff. A Ti Sierra Cup can be a great second pot/cup/bowl. They are great for dipping water too.

I would like to get a double-wall Ti mug, but they are single purpose and really expensive– and not all that light.

I ran a thread on the $1 Starbucks coffee cup. From there it jumps up to 4oz insulated mugs like the REI/Alladin style bugs with a lid. REI and Sigg have offered coffee cups that are more thermos and will keep it warm for the better part of a day. Hardly UL.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

short/wide version. with the metal ring cut off 25g. I mark the side with 3/4c and 1c measurements. I use mine for Hot chocolate since coffee is gross ;) also good for oatmeal,cream of wheat etc. It fits inside my Stoic 700 enough and the lid fits on the cup.. all fits inside the mesh bag

http://www.campbellsoup.com/Products/Microwavable

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

My wife will also not forgo coffee, so we bought a couple of GSI "Infinity" insulated mugs. They weigh 3 ounces, cost $4 and keep drinks nice and hot. I leave mine at home in the summer, but it is essential for hot tang and vodka in the winter ;)

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I use my 700mL Ti mug for the coffee. It's the only pot I carry. Boil water for rehydrating first, get the food soaking, boil another cup for coffee. I like my coffee sweet and light so I pack pre-measured sugar/creamer in zip loc bags for my coffee.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Plastic or foam or cut of platypus mug anytime over burning hot and heavy and expensive titanium…

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Agree with Brendan and Peter. I only use titanium when I'll be out for a long time and would be SOL if my cup/pot breaks. For a non-essential like a coffee mug, just get plastic or cheap aluminum. Both can be had for under $5 if you look. My double wall plastic mug w/lid was a promo freebie, weighs 3oz, holds 16oz and weighs less than a smaller sized double wall titanium mug without a lid (e.g., a snowpeak double wall cup)

Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

Unless you like shot gunning your coffee, plastic is the way to go. Single wall titanium mugs only stay hot for a few minutes. The new $1 plastic cup from Starbucks cup is nice and light. Or just go to REI and pick up a plastic mug (http://www.rei.com/product/830752/rei-campware-cup). A couple of ounces is worth it for good coffee.

Speaking of coffee, what coffees and/ or devices are you all using. I've recently started using the Jetboil French Press. It's worth it's weight but gets some grounds in my cup. I haven't had much luck with Via. Definitely not those Nescafé instant packs.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

I've done fine just using a 12 oz Starbucks paper cup (i.e., tall size) complete with lid and straw and the Via coffee. No mess no fuss, like to add some Nido powdered milk as creamer and for extra calories. The cups are durable enough, doesn't matter if they get crushed a bit in my pack outer pocket, fine for me on a five day trip.

I also don't mind if my coffee is lukewarm. I like to nurse it on the trail for an hour or so. I've gotten pretty good with a trekking pole in one hand and a Starbucks cup in the other.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I use an 8oz peanut butter jar. Having a screw on lid makes it so it can be used to reconstitute dehydrated food while I hike and the lip means I can tie a line around it to lower into a water source that I normally wouldn't be able to reach.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

styrofoam coffee cup, store it in your little pot.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I use a Nalgene flask (safe for hot liquids) with the insulating sleeve and cap/cup removed. The cozy is made of fun foam. 2 oz total for bottle, cap, and cozy. Liquids stay at a good temp surprisingly long, and it fits in my hip or chest pocket if I want to sip while I hike.

Something nibbled on it a few trips ago and I haven't made a new cozy yet.
    tea flask

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have one almost the same as this, but with a wider-mouth cap. The narrow mouths can be difficult to pour into, and they freeze easier.

Still, you want to keep this in a size that can fit within your jacket so that it stays moderately warm from body heat.

–B.G.–

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Pouring was a problem until I tried a Coghlan's fuel funnel (0.4 oz). It has that little brass filter that also catches the leaves so I don't need a separate steeper.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

I use a recycled plastic container. Actually, I have many different sizes. Yogurt containers, margarine containers, etc etc etc. Before I found Reflectix I made a form fitting bubble wrap sleeve for them, then taped it on with silver flue tape. Very lightweight, lid snaps on tight, keeps java hot for a long time, etc.

I store my java, tea bags, etc inside while I'm mojoing down the trail.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I just use my SP 700 mug for coffee in the morning. I'll heat water for oatmeal or grits, then add a little more and heat that for Via. If I hike with my wife, we bring the SP 900 and the 700, and use them both for coffee.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools