Topic

My latest ultralight quilt (Virga Outdoors)!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My latest ultralight quilt (Virga Outdoors)!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    billy goat
    BPL Member

@billygoat

Locale: West.

This is a quilt I made for myself for an upcoming hike of the Sierra High Route. M50 shell and lining, Cuben baffles, 900 fp down, half taper, footbox and collar snaps and drawcords with micro cord locks, half taper, and tight seam tolerances.

My best yet – 8.5+ oz down should make it good down to 35 degrees and lower with clothing – weight? 15.4 oz!!!

Photos and details here:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315133415256700.50718.126284534141590&type=1

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

That quilt looks great. Out of curiosity, what made you choose M50 over other fabrics of similar weight like Ti Goat's NoBull fabrics? I ask because I've heard from other users that the Nobull fabrics feel much nicer against the skin than M50.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Awesome quilt.

I presume M50 is more wind and down proof than TiGoat's NoBull/10D fabric. Supposedly the NoBull/10D has changed, but the version I have lets a lot of down thru. I suspect M50 strikes a more central balance between letting down thru (one extreme) and feeling like plastic (other extreme), with maybe the original M55 closer to the plastic extreme (which I still prefer over a regular exodus of feathers). Perhaps the newer NoBull/10D strikes a more central position as well.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

The Nobull 2 from Tigoat is the best I've used. Light, good price, no down leakage, great balance of breathability and wind/water resistance, and feels great. I recently got some M50 for a project (because Tigoat's out of NB2) and ran it through the washing machine and dryer before using it and it helped quite a bit (front loading with some sportwash, extra rinse). Otherwise it's pretty plasticy and crinkly/loud. The Nobull2 is the real deal though.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Awesome quilt! What weight cuben did you use for your baffles? I'm about to make a very similar quilt myself. Nobul1 shell and liner, 6 ounces of down and .34 cuben baffles.

Colin & Dan,
    I just did some work with the most recent iteration of nobul 1 and 900 fill down. Stitched up some down booties…the stuff is great to work with, extremely soft hand (almost silk/satin like), sews well, and has a bit of self-healing properties when you inadvertently screw up and have to rip stitches out. It's def down proof with 900fp down. Quick test with a spray bottle indicates good DWR. I think the hardest part of working with it is getting it to lay flat and unwrinkled when you mark it with a pattern. It likes to stretch a little when you're marking it. Once it's cut, it's very easy to use, provided that you pin everything before sewing.

bootit1

They ran out of nobul2 when I ordered the nobul1, so I have no means of comparing the 2. I'd imagine they should be pretty similar…one just has a heavier coating.

Darrin Boring

@tupelo

Nice looking quilt!

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I've been meaning to post about this but kept forgetting…

I ended up make a quilt recently with Nobul1 inner and a ripstop outer. Fill was from a down pillow.

The new version, Nobul1, still leaks a little bit still but what does get through are very, very small/thin pieces of down. It's not the clusters that are getting through.

I actually ran out of down as the pillow wasn't accurate on either the FP or fill weight rating so I picked up 850FP for the last 2 baffles (of 16 total. Neither of those two baffles have leaked at all from what I've seen.

Regardless, the amount that does leak does not worry me in the slightest. It's only low quality "down feather blades" that make it through and the clusters, which provide the great majority of loft, stay put…Playing the role of optimist, you could say that it's almost better than it leaks slightly because the "garbage quality" down is going to make it's way out over time leaving you with only the good stuff behind.

*** The Take Away *** Nobul1 works well with 850FP or higher but leaks some of the non-cluster bits found in lower quality down…regardless this small amount of leaking isn't going to cause it to lose much, if any, loft.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Really cool!

Cody Bartz
    BPL Member

@codybartz

"The new version, Nobul1, still leaks a little bit still but what does get through are very, very small/thin pieces of down. It's not the clusters that are getting through."

>> I have noticed the exact same things on my little experience with an Enlightened Equipment quilt with 10d nb1 inner and 10d nb2 outer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools