Topic

Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Northern Midwest Hiking-Centric GGG @ Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Yesssss! :D

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Yes if the directions are that you are going north out of Milwaukee on 41 I got that and it will be no problem to meet in Milwaukee. Could use some advise on snow shoes vs cross country skis as I have no idea what the trail and terrain are like. I have skis but no snow shoes or micro spikes… yet

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Mark,

I am a novice as skier and could ski the flat parts with a pack but the black diamonds would mess me up so snow shoes for me.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

The Michigan folk will know better than I about skis up there, but I remember the trail being good for skis in some parts and good for snowshoes on others. My wife and I have an easy decision to make. We only have snowshoes! (And some Yak Trax we're borrowing if there's a big melt off, but that seems unlikely)

Mark, I don't have a huge car (Subaru 09 Legacy), so keep that in mind with extra gear. I plan on bringing a cooler for food to grill after the hike which you're welcome to use as well, and we'll have our packs. We should be fine if I don't overload the car with stuff. Pack less, be more….pack less, be more…pack less, be more……….

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Thats what I remembered also Travis.

Lets plan to snow shoe.

At work now but will reply properly later .

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I was planning on everything fitting in my pack other than snowshoes or skis which are sounding like a bad idea. I'm sure you have an rei in Milwaukee I hear rei rents snowshoes

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

If my wife is not coming (if its cold she wont) I can bring a spare set of snow shoes.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

We do have an REI, Mark.

I think they're $12 a day to rent. If you'd like, I can pick some up during the day on that Thursday before.

Stephen posted while I was. I guess we'll play it by ear!

So far, it's my wife and I, Stephen and possibly his wife, and Mark. Have we heard from Ike or Rog? Jim from Minnesota was another possibility too, right?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I am sure Rog cannot come, not sure about Ike.

It sure would be nice if they would come along.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>It sure would be nice if they would come along.

+1

Stephen/Mark, are you planning on bringing extra gear for show-and-tell? I don't have much, but I can bring a few things, assuming I have room.

Stephen, you've got a Hilleberg, right? Wouldn't mind seeing one of those in person if not too much a bother.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I have two Hillebergs Travis, if Mrs. M is coming I will bring a Kaitum 3, if I am by myself a Soulo is the forecast is bad, if its ok or has thawed a bit I will bring a Trailstar or Tarp Tent Stratosphire 1.

I will either be bringing a Phd Hispar 800 or Wm alpinelite or Ee rev x 20f for sleeping on, And either a brooks range Mojave or Gooses Feet Parka.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Jim from Minnesota was another possibility too, right?

Yes. I still remain a possibility … will need to get off the fence soon.

On one hand, it's pushing the limit of where I'm willing to drive.

On the other hand, I really do need to get out.

It'll help if I knew a few more details about route possibilities.

I've never been to Pictured Rocks (have no idea how we missed it on a Lake Superior circle trip we took long ago).

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Hi guys,
    Finally got my March schedule. Hopefully I'll be able to join you for the Friday-Saturday (contingent on wife and kids activities) but not Sunday.

Sounds like Dana's and Rog's suggestions were similar to what Travis and I had talked about. If anyone is interested, the trip report "Anatomy of a 24" was the stretch from Little Beaver Lake to Mosquito, and "Land of Rock and Ice" was a modified version of the Chapel Loop.

Looking forward to (hopefully) meeting you guys.
    Merry, Is Pippin coming?

Ike

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Nah Ike the other hobbit can't come that weekend, but I will ensure to bring plenty of good cheese :-)

Thats great you can make it mate.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Good news, Ike!

(who's Merry and Pippen?)

Jim,
    There are several route possibilities, and I think we just have to figure out how far people want to hike. It might be a good idea to have 2-3 options in case of weather issues.

I'm good for anything, but wouldn't mind covering a bit of ground to see different things.

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Somehow I don't think Si would ever be mistaken for a hobbit.

I see Pippin was wearing the condom. Did he insist on a cooked lunch after 2nd breakfast and elevenses? Or was that just a way to pace himself at higher altitudes?

Need a Shire folk reunion in Colorado this year. Further south and west than last September, though.

Wish I could join you all for the GGG, but my season won't start till after April 15th.

Dana Sherry
    BPL Member

@dsherry

Locale: Southwest

sea cave a few hundred ft east of chapel rock

Another teaser for your trip planning, and to get people on board. Skiied the chapel loop yesterday. Thanks to a recent storm delivering 50mph windgusts, the cliffs have the best ice I've ever seen there. If you want to see more pics , search me on FB. Really, truly spectacular ice. You gotta see this.

Sea cave is a few hundred ft east of chapel rock.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

That's bad ass, Dana. I hope we get to see similar things.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

After seeing Dana's picture this is hard to do and I really don't want to back out. I have a eleven year old grand daughter that's only been on one short bp trip with me. We've camped a bit kayak ride dirt bikes go country dancing and now have a really crappy band going but this year I think we need to start backpacking a lot more. I've been feeling guilty since I said I would go on this trip. She's growing up way to fast. Thanks for the offer

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Mark,

That's a shame you won't make, hopefully we will get to meet up some other time.

Hi Dana,

That is one bad ass photo alright as Travis says.

Travis,

At a trip before Xmas Rog and Ike were amazed by how much food my buddy Simon and I consumed, that how the name a hobbits came up.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Hi Mark,
    'Tis a bummer you can't come, but we'll all probably still be backpacking for a long time to come, and Pictured Rocks isn't going anywhere. An 11-year old, however, doesn't stay that way very long. Go make some memories with her!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

LOL, you guys!

You all do look quite hobbit-ish in the sense that you're all quite happy in the picture presumably taken around meal time.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That was second breakfast :-)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Here's what I'm thinking….

Its pretty well agreed on where the best scenery is. Since we all have to stop at the Visitors Center to check in/register/whatever, why don't we all meet there, get the most recent and accurate road condition report, and decide where exactly to go then. We can then take a break for elevensies, get to our designated parking spot, and then have lunch. Hit the trail, and soon stop for second lunch.

Now, when do you all want to meet? The wife and I are driving up Thursday late and finding a place in the Hiawatha NF to crash. Already scoped out some Google images. That plan is still open for change though. At any rate we'll be able to meet anytime Friday morning.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 128 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools