Topic

Escalante, early March

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Escalante, early March

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

This is a tentative list for 6-ish day trip in the Escalante area in the next couple weeks or so. Weather can be pretty variable this time of year; the below is most likely scenario with highs around 50, lows in the high 20s. Possible modifications for weather below the list. Comments/questions welcome. Weights are guesses.

WORN/CARRIED
    hat/bandana -3
    Patagonia merino 1 short sleeve – 4
    Patagonia Long Hauler running shorts- 4
    Patagonia sol patrol pants – 6
    Defeet Wooleator x2 -3
    Inov8 Trailroc 255 – 20
    Dirty Girls- 1
    sunglasses -1
    single modded BD Alpine Carbon Cork – 6

OTHER CLOTHES
    Houdini – 4
    MYOG hooded down jacket – 5
    merino buff -1
    Rab Phantom Grip gloves -2
    MYOG Powerstretch tights – 4

SHELTER/SLEEP/PACKING
    MYOG cuben square tarp, long guylines, no stakes – 8
    MYOG down quilt -15
    Prolite XS – 9
    Tyvek groundsheet-2
    MYOG Pack- 30

FOOD/WATER
    Snow Peak litemax ti -2
    evernew .9 -4
    spoon/plastic eating container – 1
    2L platy x3 -4
    HDPE Nalgene -4
    steripen+ some micropur tablets -4

OTHER
    Zebralight H51 -2
    1st aid/sunscreeen/toiletries/etc -4
    Maps/compass- 2
    10m 4mm kernmantle- 4
    Fuji X100/camera stuff – 17

If it's going to be colder, I'll probably keep everything the same but add a Cap 4 midlayer, 1/4" CCF pad, and probably some hydroskins depending on the route I decide on. If it looks like precip is likely, add Rab Pulse. If the forecast looks good and rain and wind look unlikely, I'll leave the shelter behind. I'll probably try to rig up some kind of front carry system for camera/snacks/etc before I go.

Above baseweight is about 9 lbs. Food/fuel should add ~8lbs. Water carried will vary a lot depending on where I am.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

For those temps, I'd want a heavier long sleeve baselayer like a Merino 2 quarterzip. I'd also want a more substantial sleeping pad. You're gonna loose a TON of heat to the ground with only a Prolite XS. A 1/4" CCF would be absolutely mandatory, and still might not even be enough for a comfortable sleep (for the legs).

I'm assuming the heavy pack is for water carry reasons?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Thanks Brian. I'm usually good in a windshirt and short sleeve around freezing while moving (in decent weather). This is what I've used on trips the last couple weeks with similar weather. Same with the pad/sleep system. I usually don't need added insulation to the prolite until around mid 20s. Looks like this trip will be 3rd or 4th wk of March so I'm not too worried about cold. It's been low 70s the last few days at lower elevations.

Heavier/more durable pack is for water reasons and rock reasons, including a couple likely hauls in scrambling sections.

The most likely things to change:
    -water. I might skip the steripen and just use ClO2. I might leave the Nalgene, but that's also usually part of my coffee system.

-still figuring out a good front carry system. Last weekend I used a bag with similar dimensions to the Zpacks multipack. I tried it on my chest, waist (in front), and attached to my hipbelt and bottom compression strap on my pack. The third option worked the best, but it's a little deeper than I'd like. I'm thinking long and shallow across my waist might be the best option. We'll see.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks good to me, only thing I'd sub is a Dromedary for the Platys (personal preference).

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

I have a 6l Dromlite that I actually prefer using to the platys, but like having multiple containers in case of failure rather than relying on one, regardless of its bomberness. I do usually have some kind of repair kit for my pad, so maybe it's not much of an issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools