Topic

curries and attracting bears?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition curries and attracting bears?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I like to pack red and green curry into the park. That and some coconut milk powder and some rice make a KILLER dinner.

However, it's VERY pungent and has a lot of smell.

It's not a typical bear food so I"m wondering if you guys think it will attract bears.

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

Iā€™m a big fan of curries in my camping food, and have done so in black bear country with no issues.

Below is a link to a podcast from Practical Backpacking that contains an interview with a Black Bear expert from Yosemite and is quite educational:
    http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/show/tag/yosemite/

My take away from that podcast is that any food can attract Black Bears regardless of how pungent it is. The key is correctly dealing with your food so that the bears do not become habituated to humans by successfully getting at your food. I will continue to enjoy my curry!

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

Heck with the bear!

I savor currie dishes almost every meal, even breakfast! I also put on salads!

So, if your camping any distance near me, and start cooking a currie dish, I bet I'll be at your camp before the bear even gets a wiff!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If worried, cook before camp. Although, frankly curries are pungent and well…..I wouldn't worry. But that is me. Curry is though a great human repellant when one sweats….lol!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Try the Opsacks. They really hold in the smell. I put a bunch of curry paste packets in there to keep the curry from stinking up the rest of my food and once inside, I couldn't smell them at all.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Just make it spicy. It'll remind em of bear spray and they'll be afraid.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools