Topic

Ultralite backpacking list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Ultralite backpacking list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    michelle Annett

@andrewz

I am back packing in the sierras this summer coming up. I was just wondering what u guys think of my gear and what to add possibly.
    i Know this could be considered unprepared but i am going with my friend and we dont plan on bringing tents or sleeping bags. We have camped and hiked many years and we are just going to make a shelter.
    So what would you guys subtract or add? Oh YEAH we will be gone for 3 days

Clothes-
    Wearing that day – a shirt, shorts, socks, underwear

Packing-
    socks – 2
    swimshorts – 1
    pair of pants – 1
    sweater – 1
    wool socks – 1
    Beanie – 1
    Rain pancho – 1 ( cheap one in a plastic bag )

Equipment-
    Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter – 11oz.
    CamelBak Cloud Walker Hydration Pack (70 oz.) – 1.8 lb. (with empty reservoir)
    waterproof matches + lighter – weight ?
    Emergency KIT (bandades, antibacteria, snake bite kit, sewing needle)
    Hunting-
    Sling shot – 1.0
    Fishing string and bait – ( not a pole, we will manage with just the string to catch fish )

Food-
    beef jerky bags – 1
    Dried fruit – Half pound

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Andrew

Clothes-
    Wearing that day – a shirt, shorts, socks, underwear
    ~Shoes?, probably a given, huh?

Packing-
    socks – 2
    swimshorts – 1 ~Ditch 'em
    pair of pants – 1
    sweater – 1 ~Down, sinthetic fill, acrylic?
    wool socks – 1
    Beanie – 1
    Rain pancho – 1 ( cheap one in a plastic bag ) ~Bring 2 and some light cord.

Equipment-
    Katadyn Hiker Pro Microfilter – 11oz. ~Ditch it
    CamelBak Cloud Walker Hydration Pack (70 oz.) – 1.8 lb. (with empty reservoir) ~Trade the pack out for a lighter one with more volume.
    waterproof matches + lighter – weight ? ~Fire starter
    Emergency KIT (bandades, antibacteria, snake bite kit, sewing needle) ~Ditch the snake bite kit, and add 2 emergency blankets, and some duct tape.

Hunting-
    Sling shot – 1.0 ~If your not practiced with rocks, put some bearings in your pocket. Fool hens?
    Fishing string and bait – ( not a pole, we will manage with just the string to catch fish ) ~I'd bring a selection of wet and dry flies, and small clear bubbles

Food-
    beef jerky bags – 1
    Dried fruit – Half pound

I would also add a small Ti/Al pot/mug, and dont forget your pocket knife. I'm sure I forgot something, but you'll remember when you get out there.

Josh Leavitt (Tigoat)

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Would consider carrying some type of sleeping bag or at the very least an emergency blanket although that might be pushing it. Have seen way too many other hikers try & rough it through the night only to be miserable the next day from a cold sleepless night, this seems to happen mostly in the summer.
    Would leave the sling shot and swimming shorts out
    also include tent stakes for rigging a poncho shelter
    Aqua Mira for water treatment
    Best of luck

michelle Annett

@andrewz

I would agree about the sling shot and shorts, however we will not be hiking in that far. All we are going to be doing is hiking in about 5-10 miles one day, and setting up a shelter for the next 2 nights. Than we will hike back the 5-10 miles, so we arent hiking extremely far, we are many just going for fishing and just roughing it a little. So we wont be exhausting ourselves that much. so i think a little extra weight wont be to bad so i will keep the sling shot. I guess i shouldnt have posted this as Ultralight, just light camping gear. i am sorry for mis posting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools