Topic

Help with generic gear list for my dad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Help with generic gear list for my dad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cosmo teddy
    BPL Member

@cosmoteddy

I am taking my dad on a camping trip to Arkansas this weekend. We will do one night of car camping and if we can work it out one night of backpacking. Either way I am trying to use this as a trial run for future backpacking trips. He has alzheimers so my mom will be packing his thingsn. Two weeks ago she did not do such a good job of making him prepared and he was cold. The weather is supposed to be 60 in the day and 40 I'm the night. So if anyone could please help me with a generic list since I don't know what specific baselayers and items he has. We had an awesome time last time despite the cold, but I want to make sure he won't be cold this time.

What I have for him.
    Just bought a 20 enlightened equipment 6 ft. 6 quilt on gear swap. Not a good idea to stuff a 5 ft. 11 person in a 6 ft. Sleeping bag like we did last time.
    Nemo insulated air mat -think that is the one
    Stove
    Tent
    Gsi pinnacle backpacker cookset

I think that is about it.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

For clothes

Worn
    Thin baselayer top
    Convertsble pants or pants and light weight shorts
    Sunglasses
    Hat
    Trail runners
    Socks

Packed
    Baselayer bottom for sleeping
    Extra base layer top for sleeping (optional)
    Insulated Puffy or Fleece warm enough for around camp
    Extra pair of socks
    Rain Shell
    Wind Shell (optional)
    Mitts
    Touque

If he was cold while active I would add a light weight fleece to be worn while hiking, if he was cold at camp then add insulated pants or heavier insulation layer.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It doesn't matter what you take in gear amount, if you do not take enough insulation for the expected temps to make him comfortable. That involves the person taking him into the wilderness.

I would be very concerned about taking an Alzheimers patient alone (just the two of you) in the wilderness and would only do that with his physicians permission. If just you two, make sure you can handle the situation of him becoming disoriented, confused, not knowing you and walking away on his own.

Here is my generic gearlist in pdf file.
    http://tinyurl.com/3dptbzj

cosmo teddy
    BPL Member

@cosmoteddy

Thanks for the help. He is not to a stage yet that he would not know who I am or confused about us being out camping. He grew up in the woods. He had been cold at night not during the day. Now it looks like temps are dropping a little to 55 in the day and 33 and 35 at night. Do y'all think the quilt I have for him will be enough? Would you add any additional layers?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools