Topic

has anyone tried to dehydrate syrup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition has anyone tried to dehydrate syrup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Pure maple syrup? If so what did it turn out like a leather or sugar crystals? I would think it should work and rehydrate well also. Any experience?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm not aware that there is any way to get the water out of syrup except by cooking it out.

I've tried to dehydrate some syrup-like substances, and it never works.

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Maple sugar candy and maple sugar is made by boiling maple syrup…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I haven't. But I'd consider this [http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/Food_&_Candy/Food_&_Candy/Maple/Vermont_Maple_Sugar/54662] if I wanted maple syrup in the backcountry.

There's also this old thread on the same subject: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=34432

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

OK I just poured two oz on a tray ten hours or so and five bucks of electricity and we shall see.

Peter Evans

@nlslacker

Maple sugar is the result you will get.
    Maybe easier to just buy that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_sugar

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

No electricity needed to grow crystals on a string( rock candy) and then granulate those as needed.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

"Lazy man's" method…..

http://www.americanspice.com/honey-powder/

Ingredients: dehydrated Michigan Clover Honey

Rehydration Ratio: Use 4 parts honey power to 1 part water to make a thin, pourable honey or 8 parts honey power to 1 part water to make a thick, spreadable honey.

Rehydrates in cool water in 35 min or warm water 2-3 minutes

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"I'm not aware that there is any way to get the water out of syrup except by cooking it out."

There's an off-the-grid producer of birch syrup in Alaska that uses a reverse osmosis filter not to make pure water (its usual application) but to extract much of the water from birch sap before boiling it down further.

A lot of stuff on youtube isn't very good. This, I enjoyed watching:

YouTube video

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Maple Sugar is relatively easy to make. The Syrup you use can be darker and somewhat higher inverts. I’ve found that if the inverts are very high, however, the product will be gummy and will stick together. Off flavors are usually lost in the process, so you can sell some of your lesser Syrup for a really good price rather than selling it as bulk Syrup for a very low price.

Boil the Syrup as hard as you can until it reaches 290 to 300 degrees. Skim as needed. A few drops of defoamer will help to keep it from boiling over. (I prefer liquid defoamer for this product.) The 2 critical times for boil-over are when the Syrup first breaks a heavy boil and also somewhere between 221 and 224 degrees. At these points, the heat may have to be reduced to keep it from boiling over. Once you are past these points you can usually push the boil as hard as you would. The same is true when cooking Maple Cream.

When it boils at 290 to 300 degrees, remove it from the heat and stir it immediately and continuously. It is best to wear long sleeves, gloves and even glasses for this job. If this hot and very concentrated Syrup gets on your skin it sticks and hardens and stays very hot. When you pull it off you pull off skin with it. If you stop stirring even 5 minutes after removing the product from the heat it can boil over. Complete and continuous aeration of the product will assure the fastest and the best results. It’s a good idea to have a fan blowing on the surface to move away steam. Stir the Sugar in small batches at first to see if your up to this. Constantly scrape sides and the bottom of the pan with a stainless steel spatula and 5 to 10 minutes will granulate most batches. Caution, do not cook or stir Sugar in soldered pans. Solder will come loose and end up in the Sugar.

It is recommended that you transfer the Sugar to a large wooden mixing bowl or a basswood stirring trough and work it some more. The wooden surface helps to remove more moisture and the extra aeration and stirring breaks down lumps that may occur. Sifting smoothes the product and yields lumps. If you run a rolling pin over the lumps, break them down and then sift them again, the small, uniform beads…“Maple Sprinkles.”

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Honestly, if you are near Trader Joe's go get theirs. It is $4.99 for 8 ounces :-)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

26 hours later and close but still not dry. Thank you all for the input I will check sources suggested. Again thank you all.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Instead of looking for ways to dehydrate maple syrup, perhaps we should be thinking in terms of rehydrating maple sugar . . .

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

That is easy! Just add water, and dissolve. Simple as can be……

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

BTW it worked and rehydrated well also but as cheap as Sara said it can be had from trader joes I will try to get a friend to pick me up some as she works near one which is 120 miles for me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools