Topic

Any one from central or south west Ohio?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Any one from central or south west Ohio?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    brandon hippler

@brandonhippler

Im looking for someone to go backpacking with in zaleski state forest.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

Hello Brandon,

Northeast Ohio here, but I know that several groups frequent Zaleski. You might try the Northeast Ohio Backpacking Club to hook up with a trip or organize one. Not sure if there are similar groups in other areas of Ohio.

http://neohbackpackingclub.com/home.aspx

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Locale: Cincinnati, Ohio

Hi Brandon,

Cincinnati here. This is the forum you need to ask on:
    http://www.backpackohio.com/forum/index.php

Good luck!

Roger

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Hi I just joined today. I'm getting back into backpacking after a long layoff. I'm in NW Ohio. Going to Zaleski sounds good but I can't commit to any trips right now. Also wondering about the Shawnee BP Trail sometime. I have a particular interest of the SBPT as I helped build it in 1974 as part of the YCC. (Yea I'm old…55).

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Dean,

I'm your guy with Shawnee info, well BPO on the Backpackohio is the real man, but I can help.

Roger

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Hi Roger

Thanks for the reply. In 74, I was part of the crew that built the SBPT NW of Camp 5 up to Camp 6, which we also built. I was almost 17 at the time. Good times!

Once I get my BP gear together and get into somewhat better shape (don't want to be drag to any others), I'll be ready for some trips. Hoping to do a solo 3 nighter in the Pigeon River area (north central Michigan) in May.

Dean

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Camp site 6 is my favorite. Urban legend has it as the most remote campsite in the state of Ohio. The hike between camp 5 and 6 used to be the nicest of the loop, but most of the entire trail is now maintained with a bulldozer to cut down on trail maintenance labor costs. Beautiful Ohio…

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Roger

Nice to hear how you and others appreciate Camp 6. I remember cooling our feet in the stream there eating lunch while darters and other small fish tried to nibble our toes.

Our base was on Pond Lick Road just downstream from the pond. I looked on Google Earth and it is gone now, just a wide spot and some clearings along the road. The director of our camp was Dave Todt. He's now a vice-president and provost at Shawnee State.

Not so nice to hear how it's maintained these days. We used fire rakes and hoofed it in and out everyday. I know the state has do what's the most efficient, but it's disheartening to think what was done by hand by a small group is just carved out by a machine now.

Thanks for the reply and have a pleasant evening.

Dean

Brad D

@bradd

Locale: NW Ohio

Hi Dean,
    My name is Brad and I'm from the same "neck of the woods" you are from (NW Ohio). I'm a few years older, but with less hiking experience than you. I am interested in going to Shawnee State park backpack trail this fall. I wanted to touch base and see if you might be interested going to Shawnee sometime this fall (2013). I don't have many trips under my belt and what few trips I have experienced have been for beginners. I have much to learn for lightweight backpacking, but would like to learn more from someone who has more experience.

Brad, (Toledo)

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

PM sent.

Dean

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Dean, Brad, and any others interested:

We have our annual Backpack Ohio Fall Outing at Shawnee this October if you want a guided tour.

Ohio Shawnee Fall Group Trip

Roger

Brad D

@bradd

Locale: NW Ohio

Roger,
    Sorry I have not replied earlier. Dean and I just returned from a trip in upper MI. Needless to say, was out of communication over the last week. That being said, I am interested in a trip to Shawnee State Park BP trail. At this point, I would consider going next Spring 2014.
    Brad

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Lived in Columbus for 20 years and moved to Seattle in 1997. You guys in the Buckeye State need to move out here! I remember the long road trips to TN, WVA, and MI for a small taste of wilderness. Now real mountains and wilderness are less than an hour away.

OGGWild
    BPL Member

@wickdwarm_n_dry

Locale: Central Ohio

Columbus area here. I'd be up for outings from time to time. I tried registering on BPO a few weeks ago and never got a reply back. Suggestions?

Roger Munsey
    BPL Member

@8100lt

Tim,

Sorry I missed a few days. I just sent a PM to the site admin. I am sure he will help. Ron is a great guy.

Roger

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools