Topic

Voigtlander Heliar 15 vs Sony E 10-18 F/4

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Voigtlander Heliar 15 vs Sony E 10-18 F/4

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bryan Hansel

@bryanhansel

Locale: Great Lakes

I'm looking for something wide for my Sony Nex-6. I have the 16 f/2.8 which I'm not impressed by and I have the Sigma 19 f/2.8, which is nice, but flares and loses contrast when shot towards the sun. Picture below from the 19mm. It took lots of work to get it to this point and I still consider it sub-par. It's sharp enough though and a nice, cheap lens. The Sigma 30mm f/2.8 is killer! I also have the 16-50, which is pretty much a joke at 16-20mm. So, I need a wide lens.

It seems like the good options for the Nex are the Voigtlander Heliar 15 f/4.5 or the Sony E 10-18 F/4. I'd most likely shoot it from 13 to 18 as that works better for my style. Weight is within a few ounces.

My biggest concern with the Voigtlander is using Cokin-style rectangular split ND grads. The built-in, petal-style lens hood seems like it would interfere with filters, but if it's sharper, etc. by a significant amount, I think I'd go that route.

Anyone have a workaround for the Voigtlander and ND grads?
    Anyone had the chance to test both out in the woods and compare the results?

Sigma 19mm F/2.8 shot. ISO 100, f/16, 1 second (the f/16 setting caused some diffraction and loss of sharpness, but I wanted the sunburst, so went with it)

sigma 19

Gary Yee

@lakemcd

Locale: NW Montana

Sidetrack: Let me know if you ever want to get rid of the PZ 16/50 lens.

Bryan Hansel

@bryanhansel

I'll let you know. It's handy to have, but I'm not sure I'll use it all that much. The Sigma 30 f/2.8 covers that range for me. I read all the Internet buzz on it and I didn't believe it could be as good as it is. But, it's as good as everyone says.

16-50 @ 19mm f/9 1/1000 ISO 100 — Shot using the smartphone connection app (which doesn't save RAW files for some weird reason)
    selfie ice arch

Gary Yee

@lakemcd

Locale: NW Montana

I have the sigma too. It is an impressive little lens. A little slow to autofocus but once it does, the images are very sharp as you know. I thought about picking up the 16/50 to put on my 5N instead of getting a 1/1.7 sensor compact like the LX7 since with that lens combo it's not too much bigger. Reports that I've seen recently indicate that shooting in jpeg reduces to criticisms of that lens at the wide end. What's your experience?

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

The Zeiss 12mm E mount will be available soon……..

Bryan Hansel

@bryanhansel

The 12mm is a little wide for me. The sweet spot on APS-C for me is 16mm. On full-frame, I shoot mostly with a 24mm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools