Topic

Montane Mohawk

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Montane Mohawk

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Hey…Has anybody used a Montane Mohawk extensively? Thoughts on performance/durability/weight balance??

They've popped up again at a good price (for eVent anyway), but of course they do weigh a #.

Also, if anyone has sizing input that would be much appreciated…I'm 6'- 185# – 42" FWIW.

Thoughts?

TIA
    -Mark in St. Louis

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have an REI Kimtah eVent parka and really like it. The regular price is a lot below the Montane Mohawk but REI members can get it on 20% off sales held several times a year.

I normally wear a size large but got the Kimtah in size XL so it would fit easily over my Eddie Bauer down sweater with no restrictions. (See my avatar photo.)

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Eric…I just tried on the Kimtah a couple days ago, I'm pretty familiar with it as well, and I'm an REI member. I should have grabbed one around Black Friday during the 50% off sale. Having said that, the fit is only OK…not that athletic and short in the arms…I would need a L for the arm/length but could easily wear a M in the chest/waist.

FWIW, the Montane is (was?) on sale for $149.

-Mark

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What a coincidence. I went into REI today to try to exchange my Kimtah I got in April 2012. I take really good care of it, use tech wash gentle cycle, etc etc. But the seam tape was coming off all along the right zipper area on the inside after less than a year. I've used seam grip to repair what i could but the delamination keeps spreading. Unfortunately, REI would not replace it for me as I purchased it on sale (59.83) and apparently, once they " update" a line and pricing, you're SOL and can only get a refund or pay the difference for the new $239 Kimtah since my less than year old Kimtah no longer exists. Now, if I had purchased a MH, Patagonia, etc jacket, I'm sure the manufacturer would replace a defective jacket in a heartbeat, with the most current iteration if the old one wasn't available.

Long story short, avoid store brand. I shop at REI all the time, and as I don't return much stuff, this was something of a surprise to me. They don't offer straight replacements after they "refresh" a line, which is every season or year according to the employee. A refund is fine and all, but for a product that was defective (the employees agreed, however the manager would not approve a replacement), I should get a replacement.

Anyways, the newer version is larger now. I wear a small and my Klimtah is a small, but the refresh is noticeably larger, especially in regards to arm length. It is roomier in the torso/chest.

Mark Montag
    BPL Member

@sanjuans

The Mohawk is a full featured hardshell – very comfortable, the sleeves are nicely long, the tail drops down to where it should and the fully adjustable helmet compatible hood is fantastic – the hood has a built-in rim visor. This shell works well over an insulating layer without too much compression. The workmanship and build strength is top notch. My medium is 1.5oz lighter than spec.

The Montane "Air" is also an excellent full featured eVent jacket at a lighter weight – same top notch features of the Mohawk – some find the shoulders a little narrow, however, eVent will breathe more efficiently closer to the body. The narrow build will compress a heavy(er) insulating layer underneath.

The Montane products are among the best available and are built for frequent / hard use. Take a look at the Medusa 32L backpack at 2-lbs – incredibly comfortable, full featured pack – I use it for all 3-season overnights and winter alpine hiking/skiing – a little too small for winter overnite.

I've tried many of the REI clothing products – though they are using some of the better fabrics available – they just don't fit (me) as well as the other high end clothing gear.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Thanx for the responses guys…moot point (as of now) as the Montane is sold out, at that sale price.

TA
    -Mark

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

Where were you looking at the jacket? I don't know if this will be helpful as it appears sold out there too, but it has popped up on The Clymb on and off the past year at around $150. Sometimes sold out, but then sometimes sizes back in stock.

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

"The Montane products are among the best available …"
    Maybe not – see the review on this site of the Spectre.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey guys…It was The Clymb I was looking at…currently sold out, again. I don't have the $$$ to spend on a Westcomb (or even the Kimtah at full price for that matter) right now.

I figured my "best bet" was either this Montane or the Kimtah when REI hits with another 50% outerwear sale.

TA
    -Mark

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

http://www.basegear.com is having a sale, including several Rab eVent jackets:

http://www.basegear.com/rab.html?sb3=Rab&sb2=&sort=&page=1

Take a look at the Momentum (only Large, "Satsuma" Orange) and the Drillium (medium, in "Maya" blue).

Maris L
    BPL Member

@ablaut

Hey Mark, just noticed that the jacket is back up on Clymb for $150, but only XL and XXL sizes:

http://www.theclymb.com/brand-event/192651/show-product/288973?f=mi

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Steven…Thanx for the heads up on the Rabs…there is still a Momentum left, as of now.

Maris…Thanx for the heads-up on The Clymb, unfortunately XL+ is too large for me.

-Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools