Topic

Zpacks sleeping bag sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Zpacks sleeping bag sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

I am about to pull the trigger on a Zpacks sleeping bag, but read some reviews just to be sure. Still sold on getting one after reading some great reviews, but one of them got me a bit confused about the sizing.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Sleeping-Bag-Reviews/ZPacks-20-Degree

In the above review, it says: "We tested the 20-degree version in ***Medium***, which fit our ***6' 2"*** testers well." (emphasis mine)

I thought this was odd, because according to Zpacks website the medium bag is recommended up to 5'10. So I email Matt at Zpacks and gave him my body specs (6ft and 190lbs somewhat athletic), and he just replied to me and recommended a long and wide bag.

Perhaps some owners can chime in and help me sort out the right size bag for me?

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have the 30-degree version that I purchased less than one year ago.

Remember that this is not a mummy bag, so the expectation of Zpacks is that the user will have his entire head and neck sticking out of the top opening. So, when they say that one model is recommended for somebody up to 5'10", the actual length is about one head-length shorter than that. Further, as you would expect, the inner length is less than the outer length. Different users need different inner lengths depending on how they orient their feet. So, the actual size that you want kind of depends on how much of you should be sticking out of the top.

I think that if I were 6 feet tall and I wanted my head with the bag, then I would need an extra long size.

–B.G.–

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I'd also get the goose hood, hands down has the best warmth to weight ratio of any piece of gear.

I got an all 7d one and it weighs 1.2 ounces. It allows you to sleep without needing to pull the sleeping bag over your head. You just cinch it around your neck and the hood helps seal cold air from getting in.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'm 5'11" and I got a Zpacks quilt (ie. no main zip) that has a footbox which is open-able (ie. short zip to open footbox + it has drawstring cinch at foot end). Mine is the long and the length is good – definately not too long. I wouldn't mind another couple inches, but it's good. However, Joe (Zpacks) said that having the foot end have a drawstring cinch costs a couple inches, which is why he recommended the long – so I probably could have gotten away with the regular length if I didn't have this.

Anyways, if you think you're going to be pushing the temp rating and maybe layering warm stuff inside, I'd probably go long. If you're mostly going to be using this not at the temp rating normally and you're not too acrobatic of a sleeper then regular is good. I know the extra ounce sucks when you're buying gear this light, but having proper coverage is a good expenditure of weight.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I have a 30 degree quilt and based on my experience I would go for the wide if you are going for a zipped bag. I am 6 foot and went for the extra long and am glad I did. However, I like to be able to pull the quilt up over my head a bit. All this can add a little weight, but good fit is absolutely vital with a quilt IMHO and also with a bag. If you aren't comfortable and warm then the few pounces you saved is going to be scant consultation. Overall, based on my limited use so far, I am very pleased with my quilt.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I had a Zpacks bag that I ended up sending back. At 6' and 150 pounds, I figured the "Long 6'-2" version would be fine. By the time I got the bag cinched up snugly around my neck, my feet didn't have near the wiggle room I'd prefer. Felt snug. I also felt some of the loft was being smashed as well. The length may have been fine had the bag had a footbox, I don't know.

Another note. Though there's obviously a lot of personal preference with bag fit, make no mistake about it. The "regular" width is a trim bag! For a guy my build, it was nice. That with the superb loft and I'm sure it would have been nice and toasty warm!

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

I've got one of Joe's 40 degree models in a long, wide size, and it fits my 6'1", 165lb frame well. Like has been said above, I sometimes wish I had either an extra couple inches in length or a capped, oval footbox when its colder. 95% of time it works every time, and really, the other 5% of the time I should probably be using another bag…

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

And as for head wear with it, I pulled the trigger on one of Evan's Hadron S hats a while back, so I haven't tried Joe's hood, but if it's anything like his other gear then it's top notch…

I'm also usually bringing my Stoic Hadron Hoody as well, so that hood goes over the beanie, and it all ends up quite draft-free.

Rick Sutton
    BPL Member

@rickcsutton

Locale: Midwest

I am currently trying out a stock 10 degree Zpacks bag. I bought the wide and long version after discussing my vitals and intended sleeping goals with Matt at Zpacks. I am a little over 6' 3" and weigh about 180. For comparison sake, I find normal width sleeping bags to tight and own 2 WM bags that are in the 63"-65" shoulder girth range. These are probably a bit big, yet much better than 60".

I decided on the wide version as I knew I was planning on taking the bag to it's rating limits and would have additional clothing on while in it. From all I could gather while researching these bags…..if you are planning to zip up your bag and use it more like a regular sleeping bag and/or wear additional clothing, it was best to get the wider version as the medium was a "tighter" fit. I didn't really have an option on the length due to my height.

I was a bit concerned about the size of the toe box when I first slipped in the bag in my living room as my feet, when straight up were hitting the top of the top. I didn't know if this was due to the fact I wear a size 14 shoe or the fact the foot box was small. After actually sleeping in the bag, I found my feet don't really stay straight up like this when I sleep so the toe box is now a non issue for me and very comfortable.

I also bought the Zpack down hood and think it is wonderful. Since I am a very cold sleeper, I tried to really chinch up the bag around my neck, however, I didn't like the feeling when it was directly on my throat. I pulled the bag up a bit and found it felt much better and was even warmer when I had the bag cinched under my nose. This was about as far up as I could go without pushing my feet into the far end of the bag., although, I was very comfortable with it under my nose and my feet were not squished either.

While I understand much of the fitting on bags and quilts is personal, I would suggest to bump up in length and width if you are planning to use it near it's rating and/or with additional clothing on and omit the extra length and width if you would be using it more like a quilt for lighter temps. As an added note, if you toss and turn a lot and plan on using it like a quilt, having the wide version will give you more bag to tuck under you and may help keep you warmer.

I need to sleep out a few more times to verify a few things and then I plan to post how this bag compares to my other 2 WM sleeping bags in terms of temp rating as I could not find very much info on this when I was trying to pick out a bag.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I have decided on a long/wide just to play it safe. I intend on using this bag from around May-September as my go-to bag, and the extra room will also be nice should I need to wear extra layers in case of a cold sap. After using a 55F/13C summer back for a few years, this bag ought to be more than enough and keep me extra toasty, plus it will weigh in at around 415g with stuff sack (60g lighter than my other summer bag).

Can't wait to get it! Been drooling over it for a long time now. Will probably order it over the weekend, should be here just in time for my big section hike this spring :)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Cesar, why the more expensive ZPack over the cheaper EE? I've moved forward on a new pack and shelter system all except the bivy from ZPacks, but still holding off for that final decision on which brand of quilt or keep using my paid for WM Caribou 1.5 lbs. sb. Your reasoning if you can share?
    Duane

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

I don't know what Cesar's reasoning was, but you can just look at weight and price to get idea of why someone might choose ZPacks over EE.

For the 20deg ZPacks vs. EE Rev there's a 4 to 5 ounce weight difference (depending on size reg or long) and about a $70 price difference. That's an acceptable weight/price tradeoff for some people, not for others. (I wouldn't compare the RevX b/c it's a different quilt, but materials in ZPacks and EE Rev are comparable.)

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

EE does have more down though. My 30 deg 10d weighs 19.1 with 12.9 oz down. Nothing against zpacks just stating facts.

Also mine is wide.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

"EE does have more down though. My 30 deg 10d weighs 19.1 with 12.9 oz down."

Yes, but that's because (1) the surface area of the EE quilt is bigger, and (2) ZPacks using 900fill down and EE uses 850fill down. The main size difference, so far as I can tell, is that the EE quilts don't taper as much toward the footbox. ZPacks approach of tapering more agressively toward narrower footbox makes sense to me, given that on my EE quilt (reg size) there seems to be more material than I need on the bottom half of the quilt.

In the end what matters is whether the quilts are true to their temp ratings, and I suspect both ZPacks and EE are. I have an EE Prodigy quilt (which I like) but I'm thinking about getting a ZPacks for a down quilt.

Here is what the ZPacks site says in their FAQ:

"Other sleeping bags I have compared have more down than your bags, how come?
    The important metric to compare when looking at sleeping bags is the amount of loft, not necessarily the amount of down used.

Our bags have a slim efficient design, and they don't have hoods so there is less volume to fill. We also use the highest quality 900 fill power down. Lower quality down requires more down to fill the same volume."

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you, that helps. However, I did see a comment last Fall/Summer about the Zpack loft did not match it's temp rating. That was only one. I'm looking for the lightest, but want to stay warm too with me being almost 60.:)
    Duane

Jacob Blumenfeld

@surfingdwedge

Locale: Northern California

Ive used my zpacks 20 degree side zip w/ draft tube over 40 nights this year. Normal cut. Lowest i've brought it down to was right at 20-21 degrees F while sleeping under a tarp. I wear a down hoodie with it and sleep on a neoair xlite womens ver (66in). The temp rating is right on the dot (for me at least).

Also one thing to note, Im 5ft 6 using the bag cut for up to 5ft 10, bag comes up to about my lip before my feet get crammed. That's only if laying on my back though.

I usually sleep on my side and it becomes much more roomier that way.

It's my favorite piece of gear.
    Pull that trigger.

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

"Other sleeping bags I have compared have more down than your bags, how come?

'The important metric to compare when looking at sleeping bags is the amount of loft, not necessarily the amount of down used'."

I'm not sure if this statement–in that form–is in Zpack's best interest…I mean, Valandre prides themselves on stating that their bags are constructed such that they would look the same lying flat when filled as they do empty…plus, we have Mr. Nisley's (among many others') contributions here on BPL which kinda state the contrary…i.e., total down load is maybe a "more important" metric to use when trying to determine the warmth of a given bag, versus measuring loft.

It's just difficult to eloquently say "The important metric…is the amount of loft, but while maintaining a given density at a given humidity under a given amount of compression, all at a certain set of dimensions which differs in infinite ways across myriad manufacturers, sooooooooooo…that's kinda why we want to say '…and not NECESSARILY the amount of down used'."

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

"Cesar, why the more expensive ZPack over the cheaper EE?"

1. Weight. Estimate of a 6ft wide EE Rev 40 quilt is around 489g without stuff sack, Zpacks long/wide 40 bag with stuff sack around 415g. I do a fair amount of SUL and a few XUL trips, most of which I took my old summer bag which is lighter (but in fairness much colder) than the EE quilt.

2. I know the brand. I have a lot of Zpacks gear, and have a hard time saying anything bad about them, and this is coming from a hardcore skeptic. The quality is excellent and service is great. I am not sponsored or get free or discounted stuff from them, FYI. For a big purchase and very important piece of gear, I didn't want to try out a new company–nothing against EE at all, mind you! I have heard a lot of good things about them.

3. I am a life-long bag man, not sure if quilts are for me. Skeptical about the drawstring foot box and straps and no zipper of quilts. Again, nothing against quilts, just not used to them, and didn't want to take a gamble. I have used wool blankets in the past when I was a traditional/minimalist camper and was not impressed.

4. Cuben roll top bag. Granted EE comes with a silnylon bag and storage bag, I'd much rather have the cuben roll top bag. I have a Zpacks roll top dry bag for my food, and love it. This is a small detail sure, but still counts for something.

5. Great reviews. I am sure there are great reviews out there for EE, but to be honest I didn't look into them much because the reviews (both from people here and elsewhere) were all very positive–this was the nail in the coffin to pull the trigger.

I put in my order just a few hours ago. This bag–aside from any replacements (and I hope this does not happen!) of broken or damage gear, and small stuff like socks, diddy bag stuff, etc.–is the last piece of gear I plan on buying in 2013.

I literally daydream about my spring and summer section hikes every day and can't wait to hit the trails! Now my list. Is. Complete!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Cesar, thank you. I'm edging or already there towards UL status for summer trips.

I'm working my way (enjoying) thru the seasons. I've done 5 solo winter snowcamp trips so far this winter, temps from -5F to 23F, now a small group trip this weekend to Mt. Tallac in the Lk Tahoe area. I'll do a little more research then on quilts.
    Duane

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Duane — I think we're almost down to splitting hairs between EE and ZPacks. They're both very lightweight, well-made, and (so far as I can tell) have trustworthy temp ratings. Quibbling over a few ounces is something only ultra-lighters do. But I call myself an ultra-lighter and so I do it.

For myself, I'm a shade under 5'10" and about 155 lbs. That size fits about perfectly with ZPacks regular size (and EE's 6' reg size is a tiny bit of overkill). I'm still not sure which way I will go. I suspect that EE's generous regular size has an advantage for me (i.e., more carefree about sleeping position) but that I might be willing to give up a small bit of freedom to get a reduction in weight with ZPacks.

For someone who's not 5'10"/155 the calculations might change a bit. Everything is a tradeoff, and both EE and ZPacks are good solutions (along with many others, but I think ZPacks seems best at absolute lowest weight down bags (disregarding cuben shells) and EE may have corner on best overall lightweight down quilts for the money).

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I've thought a little also of getting a quilt that would cover a wider temp range, but I need to stay focused on my goal of going for a lighter summer pack weight, trying to get the lightest that I feel will work for Sierra trips, not a shoulder season capable setup for week long vacation trips. For local or weekend trips, I can add a little weight back and use my existing gear. That's why the hair splitting and procrastinating. I still have enough of my income tax refund to get a quilt, it all has been budgeted for new bp gear and a few things to get my newer motorcycle set up for camping/road trips.
    Duane

Annie Varnot
    BPL Member

@annievarnot

Locale: NYC

Hi everyone,
    It's a year later. Are you happy with your Zpack sleeping bag? I am going to purchase either the 10 or 20 degree bag and am wondering if you guys would request anything different if you were to purchase a new one?
    thanks,
    Annie

Mike V
    BPL Member

@deadbox

Locale: Midwest

I have had my 20* Z-packs bag for at least a year now and am VERY happy with it. The quality is top notch and the temp rating is conservative. I would reccomend ordering it in wide if you are going to order with a zipper (it is very tight in regular width). Standard width is great if you are getting it without a zipper to be used as a quilt.

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

I am very happy with my Zpacks bag. Glad I went with long/wide. I have used it quite a lot over the past year, coldest I took it out was around -3C, and I was fine (just had to put on all my layers).

I have decided to eventually buy a 20/-7 degree bag in the future for winter and colder parts of spring/fall. I will again go long/wide and keep the standard zipper.

I honestly have a hard time saying anything bad about my bag. On occasion there is a stray down feather that leaks out, but not only is this rare, it's also easy to fix by just pulling it back into the baffle.

I was skeptical about the drawstring closure at the top of the bag that goes around your neck, but I have found it to be comfortable and shows no sign of being worn out yet.

I find that most of the time I leave the bag fully zipped, but I am glad I kept the zipper on it so that I have the option of using it kinda like a quilt (which I do sometimes). I hardly ever notice the zipper, and I tend to move around somewhat in my sleep, switching from my side to my back usually.

I hope you like your bag as much as I do!

Annie Varnot
    BPL Member

@annievarnot

Locale: NYC

So if I am a med size woman (5'5" at 135 lbs) would you suggest wide?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools