Topic

Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp Tent SS1 vs Duomid for Michigan Winter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi foks,

I have a trip coming up with Ike Jukowitz and I am am thinking the sight of me carrying my normal winter shelter (Hilleberg Soulo) will give him a shock as he uses a cuben duomid, so I am wondering would my Tarp Tent Stratrosphire 1 be up to the task?

Cheers,

Stephen

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Are you going fly-only for this trip? If so, I'd take the Soulo without a second thought.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Depends on you! (and weather).

Some people can deal with draftier shelters better than others. If you don't mind a little draft, then as long as you're not hitting a blizzard, your Tarptent should be fine. I use a Double Rainbow or a Trailstar in winter. Both can handle moderate snow loads, but I sometimes have to bang the Trailstar walls to knock off the snow. I also build a little snow wall around the perimeter of the floor to minimize drafts.

All that being said, there are times where I wished for a free-standing, draft free tent in winter.

To come full circle, it depends on your tolerances for drafts and the ability to minimize them.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Stuart,

Not sure yet mate, I do have a semi solid inner for the Ss1.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>Not sure yet mate, I do have a semi solid inner for the Ss1.

Oh! Then you're good with the SS1.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Travis,

Was just replying to Stuart when you posted, as mentioned above I have a rip stop inner for the SS1 so drafts would not be an issue, my main concern would be getting the tent to pitch properly on snow or even frozen ground.

I dont mind carrying extra weight in but on a trip in November with Ike his bag weighed half that of mine and I pack fairly light.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Travis,

If there is a heavy snow or crazy winds forecast I will pack the Soulo.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

To be honest, I've never seen an SS1 in person. But I think you'd still be fine as long as the ground is fairly level and you stomp out a snow platform. That not only creates an easier pitching area, but it warms you up!

In frozen ground, but very little snow, this is what I do:

I lay out my shelter and begin pounding my stakes partially into the ground with a rock. I use MSR Groundhogs because they can take quite a beating and will penetrate frozen ground. Just be sure to hit the stake squarely. At first, I don't really pay attention to exact stake location because often I have to move a few. That is why I only pound them in partially. As the shelter takes shape, I can pull up the stakes and re-set them where necessary. Once I'm happy with their location, I finish pounding the stakes in. Most likely they will freeze into the ground by morning. To remove them, you have to break the ice bond by giving the stake a good solid whack with a rock. Hit the stake further into the ground instead of at an angle or from the side. I've broken a stake doing that. They will pull out once you break that ice bond.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I'd forgotten you had the semi-solid inner for the Tarptent. What does Henry say? – the SS1 is good for light snow. The Duomid's fast to pitch with its four main guylines, whereas the SS1 needs a minimum of six stakes. If the snow's deep enough it probably won't make much difference between the two, but if you're on frozen ground I'd go with the freestanding Soulo.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Let me say for the record that (a) I'm not easily shocked, and (b) could care less about gear.

Since you brought me into this though, I think you should leave the tent behind completely and just sleep out under the stars.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Not to be nosy, but where are you guys going? UP?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

You wanna come play Travis?

Ike,

I would love to bivy :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I have only used the solid inner once on a 3 day trip before Xmas in Canuckland.

Henry says is will be in light snow.

In Michigan there is so many trees they act as a windbreak :-)

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I will keep all that in mind Travis, I will also look out for a rock in the evening to use.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Would love to come, but I doubt I'll be able to get away. Where ya headed and when?

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

We would love for you to join us.

We are heading on Monday 4th March, it will be somewhere in the UP.

David Ure

@familyguy

Easy – Ike doesn't care about gear so given he has a DUO Mid, the two of you should share that.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

The invite is most appreciated. However, weekdays are a no-go for me. You guys ever head up for a weekend, send me a PM!

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

I've got personal space issues, and Stephen snores.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>and Stephen snores.

LOL. Me too, if I'm on my back. My wife usually sticks a snowball in my mouth.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Rog, I don't know what we're doing. I had originally been thinking the three of us could do your Tahq Falls to Superior route on skis, or a shoreline ramble out to Naomikong Point at Whitefish Bay. I'd also be open to going back to LSPP.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

The SS1 is every bit as strong as any pyramid and I will argue stronger due to the shorter unsupported spans and supported ends. In a snow event, the SS1 design guarantees crush free zones at your head and feet (and of course, middle) that pyramids do not. I do agree that it, like any pyramid, requires solid staking and a dome, like the Soulo, is easier to pitch on snow.

-H

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Ike is right I do a snore a bit, I do also like my own space but on 3 trips in the last 6 months I have shared with others which was not too bad.

Rog,

Shame you cannot make this trip, let me kwow when your free again.

Hi Travis,

My wife has not threatened me with a snow ball but did make me to get a sleep study done, luckily I dont have to wear that breathing device they use taht makes folk found like Darth Vadar

Normally I prefer to go on my trips at weekends so as to keep my holidays for going out West and back to Europe, but Ike has to work that weekend and I am at a Muse concert also.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Henry :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools