Topic

Help Choosing a Knife?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help Choosing a Knife?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've been eyeing a ESEE Izula as a more substantial knife. They have an even smaller model, the ESEE Candiru. Also take a look at CRKT's Ritter RSK Mk5.

David Ure

@familyguy

I think it is the only solution as I am not aware of any fixed blades that are that small.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The ESEE Candiru appears to be the closest match to the OP's request.

Specs per ESEE

O.A Length: 5.13"
    Cutting Edge Length: 2.0"
    Maximum Thickness: .125"
    Weight: 1.7 Ounces (Knife Only)
    1095 Steel – 55-57 Rc.
    Textured Powder Coat Finish
    Serialized
    Skeletonized Handle
    Cordura Sheath
    Available Knife Colors: Black, Desert Tan, OD

I suspect this knife will hit the 2 oz mark once you add the cordura sheath. My schrade folding knife with locking blade compares well with this knife at 1.1 oz; obviously no sheath is necessary. The ESEE Candiru is probably a better quality tool though.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Buck Hartshook

Bos S30v, too small to do any damage, fixed. ~1oz with kydex.

…sounds like you want 'barely a knife' and that what this is

robert van putten

@bawana

Locale: Planet Bob

Uh, small blade big handle, lets see –

Cold steel has the "super edge" said to weight .8 ounce.

super edge

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/42SS/SUPER_EDGE.aspx

The handle is shorter than you asked for but looks quite secure. The weight sure is nice.

The Pendleton Lite from the same company looks like a great knife to me –Pendleton Lite

This puppy is 2.7 ounces with a nice handle and sturdy 3-5/8ths blade.
    I might have to get one myself…

I own and use the Cold Steel Roach belly ( 2.6 ounces ) the Finn Bear ( 2.8 ounces and great for batoning wood ).

I have yet to try their Canadian belt knife which is listed as 2.2 ounces.

I also own and use several of the Mora knives from Ragweed Forge.
    Great knives, if you like the Scandinavian grind.

I prefer the Mora blades for dressing and butchering meat ( which I do quite allot of ) and the double bevel blades for wood craft.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I won't tell you my favorite, but it starts with M, and ends with A, and rhymes with "Dora." Here is some more information on this useful knife

http://backpackingtechnology.com/knives/the-mora-knife-of-sweden/

the Ragweed site has lots of nice looking Mora type knives, some with very short blades.

If you want a show knife, try Chris Reeve knifes. $400 to $800, titanium handled folders.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I would recommend against putting a different edge on a Mora knife than the shape it comes with. The edge is called a Scandi grind (Scandinavian), and is formed of two perfect planes that come together. It is very sharp out of the box, and easy to sharpen. You just hone both sides at the same angle as they are made, and you'll have a super sharp edge. I put black magic marker on the bevel that is about 1/4 inch wide, and use stones to grind away on the bevel, and observe the magic marker to make sure I'm grinding the angle truely. You move metal off the whole bevel, not just the edge as in most knives. Its foolproof that way, and you have the same angle as it came from the factory.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

as soon as they make a orange Candiru it will be my new hiking knife, until then my portly orange Izula will have to do :)

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mike,

It does look like orange scales are already made for the Candiru.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

yup- they have orange scales (and tan??)- I plan on using it sans scales (that's the way I use the Izula as well), for backpacking anyways. it's not in hand an overly long time- making fuzz sticks, cutting packaging, cleaning fish (occasional grouse in the fall), etc, so no need for scales- it's little lighter and lays flatter (which I find helps w/ neck carry)

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools