Topic

deflating sleeping pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) deflating sleeping pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jeff soliven

@coffee666

Locale: los angeles

i'm new to inflatable sleeping pads, i've been using closed cell foam. anyways, i got a big agnes insulated air core pad last weekend and finally got around to playing with it. i took it outside to try it out in the cold and it goes soft on me! i know that there isn't a leak because i'm laying on it right now and it's nice and firm. common knowledge is telling me that the cold air is slowing down the molecules inside.

firstly, is my theory correct? it's been a while since chem 151. secondly, how do i get around this? i did blow it up inside, where it's nice and warm.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yup, pretty much.

You can avoid that by inflating twice. Once when you set up camp. After it cools down blow it up again with a couple breaths of air.

In cold weather, don't be afraid to blow it up firmly the first time. It will loose pressure as it cools. Later on, you might not want to blow it up quite as firm. I have not heard of the newer ones delaminating, but it could still happen.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Cold air compresses, warm air expands. Very basic physics. Don't worry about it, but be mindful that if you fill it to capacity in 0º temperatures and then bring it inside your living room, you could pop it.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

You can also make/buy a pump bag for it. By pumping in ambient air, you won't notice the shrink as much, and also no humidity from your lungs to funk up the inside. They also make pumps that use foam like in self inflating pads.

jeff soliven

@coffee666

Locale: los angeles

thanks guys. think i'll be bring the foam pad when i go out 'til i get the hang of inflatable pads.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools