Topic

AT SOBO Thru Hike Gear List…take a look!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT SOBO Thru Hike Gear List…take a look!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Isaac Piha
    Spectator

@irp

Locale: S.E. US

I have learned a lot from BPL on how to minimize pack weight in order to maximize outdoor adventures. Last year I went through some major life changes that have made the possibility of an AT thru-hike a reality! I will be hiking SOBO starting sometime in June. I have scoured Whiteblaze and have done many multi-day shakedown hikes (with this kit) so now all that is left to do is scrutinize my gear list. I have spent the last week going over my list and I now turn to the experts to give me their advice. I am open to all advice so don't hold back. I am happy with my base weight right now but I was wondering if it would be beneficial (or possible) to get down to 10lbs. I have some funds so replacing items is an option but over the past couple days I have weighed the spending vs weight saving costs and it just didnt't seem worth it (replacing pack and some other items only put me at 11.5 ozs). Please feel free to let my gear list have it.

A brief bio if that helps: Former Army Infantryman (1 tour in Afghanistan), presently finishing up college. I compete in triathlons and try to get outdoors as much as possible. 5'6" and 160lbs. Also I'm a side sleeper.

Here is my gear list:
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=11663

Just a side note: The winter gear I will be exchanging will be a WM Alpinlite for the quilt quilt (31oz.), a WM flash xr jacket for the nano puff (11 oz), patagonia cap 3 top and bottom for the cap 2s (14.5 oz) and possibly adding a 1/8 CCF pad and a balaclava.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Get rid of the extra cord and pot gripper – also maybe the pre-filter. A simple bandana suited me for all those purposes. Otherwise my only comment is that there is some UNBELIEVABLE weather during a thru-hike (mine was NOBO Mar 29 – Aug 30) and make sure you are comfortable with bomber set-ups for the tarp / bivy. Enjoy the walk and remember that flexibility during your daily hiking will usually take care of pretty much anything that arises. I had around a 12 lb cold weather base and 9 lb summer base and was also in triathlon shape when starting– with your fitness level, and not pushing to hard for the first couple weeks – I doubt you'll notice the weight difference too much. Unless you want to start selling and re-purchasing lighter options (ie. cuben, etc.) I'd probably save that extra money to put toward food and sight-seeing trips during your thru. Cheers!

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

An admirable list. Two things caught my eye. One was that 7.75oz. for TP/Hand Sanitizer. I'm not sure how much of that is the sanitizer. I just weighed a whole roll of toilet paper for fun–6.80oz. on my scale. Consider that hand sanitizer does a poor job of cleaning hands and is even worse at sanitizing dirt. Bonner's does a fine job of keeping things clean and sanitary. Also you might want to consider using 1/4 sheets of blue shop towels or better yet learn to do without. It's a learned technique but you won't go back. If you do use the shop towels you might find you can get by with on 1/4 sheet per day. Some like 1/4 sheets of paper towels.
    The second item was that 3.75oz. bear bag kit. There are some very light lines around. My kit weighs less than an ounce with 50ft. of line.
    I know these are minor things and from the sound of your physical description it won't make much difference. You may find yourself making some changes on the fly. You might discover you're carrying things you don't use. You'll gain confidence and start to whittle away at some "just in case" gear choices. After every trip I go on I look at my kit and go through the process of rethinking things. Over the years I've made a wonderful discovery. The more I backpack the less I need. Have a great trip.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools