Topic

Wood Burning Stove Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wood Burning Stove Options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andy Anderson
    BPL Member

@ianders

Locale: Southeast

I'm thinking about getting a wood burning stove to play around with. What area my options for inexpensive stoves? Are there any good MYOG designs out there?

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

Hey Andy,
    I make several different stainless single walled stoves that nest inside many popular backpacking pots. I have owned and made many double walled stoves but I prefer single for the lightness and the capability for larger fire boxes.
    My woodstoves all will easily boil their prospective pots with a single load of wood when lit from the top. Both Esbit and alcohol work very well with this type of stove body.
    Using stainless mugs can be a MYOG project for you but step bits are pretty expensive and dont last long.

A double walled paint can woodstove is a nice MYOG project that doesnt require nearly as much work and they work great. typically the finished product will be 4 to 5 oz
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodgas-Can-Stove/

the stove shown below is one of my stoves sized to nest in the SP600. weight as shown is 2.85 oz. I also make them to fit in the MSR TITAN KETTLE, the TOAKS 550ml pot form Litetrail, and several others in different sizes and shapes.

Stainless is extremely hard to work with but will last a lifetime. I have many stoves that have had several hundred fires in them with no corrosion, rust, etc.

sp1

sp2

sp3

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

You can always get an esbit stove, or build one, and throw little twigs in the flame area to add extra heat if you get low on esbit.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Andy, what kind of pot do you want to use? I make a single-wall wood stove from titanium or stainless steel to fit Foster's beer can pots or similar.wood stovewood stove 2

brent driggers
    BPL Member

@cadyak

Locale: southwest georgia

David, that looks cool and superlight. Is that bottom picture showing the wood burning setup? Got any videos of how it behaves loaded with wood and a pot on top?
    the firebox looks plenty big.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Andy,

I was in the same boat in that I wanted to try a wood burner without dropping a lot of money. I found the Antig Outdoors Woodlore Stove to be the answer. It's $24.99 and fits perfectly (in its stuff sack) inside my 1L Evernew Ti Pasta Pot.

For a cheap wood stove to try I don't think it can be beat.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Brent,

Yes, the bottom photo shows the wood burning set up.

Weight for Ti is 22.1 g cone + 8 g base sheet + 8.2 g stakes = 38.3 g (1.37 oz)

Weight for SS is 24.6 g + 8.3 g base sheet + 9.7 g stakes = 42.6 g (1.52 oz)

No videos, but here are a couple of photos of it in action.

Davidwoodwood 2

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

this was super simple to make. only required a dremel tool and a soup can…diy wood stove

it can even cook spam!spam!wood stove profilewood stove top view

i'd suggest diy just to be sure you want to go through the trouble of building a little fire in the evening and in the am if you want coffee.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Four Dog Stove Bushcooker LT 1

Multi use fuel with alcohol, esbit tabs and wood. This titanium stove comes in at 2.2oz.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Jay,

I've head of the FourDog before, but I've not seen one in person. It's a double wall stove, yes?

And what is that object off to the left? Is it a detachable bottom? And you can put alcohol or ESBIT in it?

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I own a Trail Designs Sidewinder ti stove with the Inferno woodburning inner kit.

One could not do any better than to copy that design with some hardware screening and sheet ti from Titanium Goat.

The Caldera Cones get their great efficiency from the tight fit of pot-to-stove.
    I don't know of any other stoves that are as fuel efficient.

Yes, the Bush Buddy may BURN fuel a bit more efficiently but they lose much of that heat to the atmosphere due to the gap between pot and stove. Also the BB stoves must be constantly fed fuel due to their small opening for wood. Not so withthe Tri Ti and Sidewinder stoves.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools