Topic

Bushbuddy in the snow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bushbuddy in the snow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

So, winter has about wrapped up here in North Idaho. But, I'm already thinking ahead to next year….

Has anyone tried a bushbudy for snow melting? Since the base stays pretty cool, I'm thinking maybe you could put it on a snowclaw for support and make water with it.

I have no idea how much time and/or fuel this would require. And, obviously you wouldn't want to use it inside your shelter. But, on paper it sure looks attractive from a stove+fuel weight point of view.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

I am pretty excited to try this in a month or two. I am def planning on testing locally after the first snowfall but in theory it seems like it would work. Besides lack of firewood I think the only thing I would worry about would be pot condensation dripping down into the fire. As long as you bring the water temp up and slowly add the snow to melt this should not be to hard to keep under control. I also had the snowclaw base idea to keep it from sinking in too far. As a safty precaution I think I would carry along at least 4 esbit cubes to help wet wood get going.

I am not sure who at Outside Magazine gets to decide, but why the Bushbuddy Ultra did not win some kind of Gear of the Year award or even a mention is beyond me.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools