Topic

Cascade Mountain Tech CF Trekking Poles vs. Outdoor Prodoucts Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cascade Mountain Tech CF Trekking Poles vs. Outdoor Prodoucts Poles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Let's take a vote. I've read all the threads on these…but I want to get a poll of opinions.

For $30 out the door I can get a set of Outdoor Products Latch lock Aluminum Poles, 10 oz apiece (Walmart ship-to-store so no shipping cost)

For $40 total I can get the famous Cascade Mountain Tech CF Twist lock Poles, ~7 oz apiece? (Amazon $30 and 10 for shipping)

– these will be my starter poles, I've never used a pair before but the concept makes sense and I will need them to practice pitching tarps. I am familiar with using poles in XC skiing though (same rough idea)
    – I would love to spend as little as possible but I can swing $40 and the CF look good

Thoughts?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I like the Outdoor Product fliplock poles and here is a post that might interest you.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

thanks, that's very helpful! I think I'll give them a shot then

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

I'm not sure how many different varieties Outdoor Products sells, but it seems like someone always breaks a pair of theirs when I go with a group of friends. I've seen them break off at the handle, mid shaft, tip, etc. Not sure if these are the ones that I've seen though. Just thought I'd throw that out there. These might be great! Could just be my clumsy friends…

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

G –
    From the Amazon reviews: " All 6 of the poles ended up breaking at some point during the trip,…"

Sounds like pretty cheap carbon to me, and not a bargain for the low price.

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Wow, thank you I missed that in the reviews. After exchanging a few PMs with another member I am definitely going to nab a pair of the Walmart ones and then doctor the handles myself.

Foo Bar
    BPL Member

@schassey

Locale: Bay Area

After reading this thread and the one linked to in the 2nd post, I'm thinking about doing the same pole buying/handle hacking dance. However, for me, I'm hoping to be able to use these poles in the winter as well, fitting them with snow baskets. Does anyone that has the poles know whether or not the threads for the baskets play nice with the Leki (or any other) baskets?

I suppose I could always replace the tips with Leki tips in order to ensure compatibility with the Leki baskets, but at that point the $ is climbing outside of the bargain arena…

Thanks!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Never mind, i'm guessing you want or need adjustable poles.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools