Topic

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Help a photo dummy out…How do you all feel about this camera/lens at this price? ($419)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=828172&is=REG&Q=&A=details

I currently shoot on a Nikon Coolpix S500 (pretty cheap…) as a tiny camera and a Canon EOS Rebel XS SLR…

I'm looking to upgrade, but not get real crazy about it. The Canon shoots well enough for what I do, but I don't like the full size SLR for backpacking. I also regret not getting something with video capability.

From what I understand, this camera would likely split the difference well between a point and shoot and the size of an SLR, as well as give me video. I used to shoot a lot of B/W film, so I am interested in something that still gives easily accessible manual control.

Anything else in the sub $500 pricepoint that I should consider?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I haven't used one but I seriously considered a GX1 when I was looking for a new camera. Seems to have a great reputation and is one of the smallest and lightest m4/3, as well as one of the more affordable ones. The only thing I'd probably do if you could swing it would be get it either with the more compact PZ 14-42mm or just get it with something like the Pany 20mm/1.7 lens. I'd probably go with the latter. The kit lens is cheap and flexible, but bulky and not the greatest IQ.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

If you like the idea of an interchangeable lens camera with the Micro 4/3 format, take a look at the Panasonic G3. It's being closed out at about 30% off the original price (was $599 w/o lens, $699 with the 14-42mm kit lens). The G3 is more full-featured and has fewer compromises than the GX1. Sure, it is somewhat larger, but many GX1 owners wind up buying the optical viewfinder, which makes the GX1 bulkier than the G3.

As for lenses, +1 on Brendan's advice. Prime lenses (those with a single focal length, no zoom) tend to be smaller, lighter, and produce sharper results than zooms. I bought my wife the diminutive Panasonic GF3 with 14mm (wide angle) lens last year, and I'm looking to add the 20mm ('normal' focal length) when funds permit.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sounds like I want to shell out the money for a better lens up front then.
    Thanks guys.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I had a G3 w/ kit lens that I sold to fund a D300. Now I'm looking at buying it again because its a great "compact" camera. The kit lens was underwhelming but with the Nikon F adapter I was able to get some great photos with my old Nikkors. The built-in EVF and rotating LCD were very handy too. This time around I think I'm going to start with the 20mm then add the 14mm and 45mm primes and call it good. I kicked myself the week after I sold the G3 because as nice as the D300 is, its not the most convenient camera to carry around.

Adam

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

The DMC G3 is even cheaper than the GX1 I mentioned in the OP. Going for only $348 with a 14-42 lens. The body is only $249, so I'm guessing I could buy a decent lens and stay under $500.

Is this the same one you guys are talking about?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=907886&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Woah! – B&H is cheaper than Amazon's sources. Yes, that's the one. Weight-wise there's only 18g in it between the two models.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
    Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The G3 has a built-in EVF so you can hold the camera to your eye as God intended. The GX1 can take an optional $200 EVF for this purpose, but that defeats the sale price.

The G5 is newer technology and a nice grip and is $500 with the kit lens from Amazon today.

Both the G3 and the G5 will be much smaller than a DSLR, though larger than a P&S and not really pocketable.

We have three micro 4/3 cameras in the house — love all of them, even the original G1. The current 14-42 kit lens is so-so, but works just fine really for most purposes.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Because of a review here at BPL a few years ago, I bought this camera. It was updated recently by a new version, so the e-620 might be found in the $400 range. The kit lenses are compact choices for hiking, but can also be upgraded with superior glass when your back from the trail. Deserves a look. Remember you can also rent cameras and lenses from places like borowlenses.com

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620

http://www.borrowlenses.com/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools