Topic

CA – Thinning Silicone with Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits Problem

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) CA – Thinning Silicone with Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits Problem

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com
    Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

In the event silicone does dissolve in the Hexane or Toluene, please note that there are small respirator masks that are very good at filtering out volatile organics. They seal with rubber over the mouth and nose. When redoing a handyman special home in the 1980's, I bought a Mine Safety Appliance Company (Pittsburg PA) mask with two screw-on cartridge filters, and used it when applying coats of polyurethane varnish to floors and other noxious tasks. It completely removed the odor of the PU, and I did not experience any of the dizziness and disorientation previously felt when applying PU indoors. Still use it and reinstalled a couple of new cartridges recently. One of the best investments I ever made.

I highly recommend a product like this for experimenting with or using VOCs that emit highly toxic vapors. For myself, I'd prefer not to use them at all, and not having to do a lot of sealing, there is no need.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools