Topic

Carbon fiber poles at Costco

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Carbon fiber poles at Costco

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

There was a nice carbon fiber hiking pole set for sale at Costco today for $27. Poles are adjustable in length, come with snow basket, mud basket, rubber feet. The poles felt quite light, and the cork handles were quite comfortable, comparable to my Lekis. Manufacturer's site is http://www.cascademountaintech.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1006. I see they say these poles will be at all US Costos in mid-March, but they were already at mine.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

great review by andrew skurka here:

http://andrewskurka.com/2012/costco-trekking-poles/

if they are good enough for skurka's gf…

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

Are these adjustable?

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Somebody weigh a pair and post it.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

skurka's review above includes everything you want to know

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

San Diego CostCos have big boxes of these, right now. Screaming deal for poles this light, and with cork handles.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

the price is really great.
    and yes, they are adjustable.
    but the package did not feel all that light weight to me.
    maybe its just all the plastic wrapping …

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Not nearly as cheap as the costco ones, but I noticed the Black Diamond poles Skurka mentioned in the link above are 33% off at Sunny Sports ($100 down from $150).

http://www.sunnysports.com/prod/BKDACCN.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=BKDACCN

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Art, I noted the same thing. That package includes bunch of plastic, all the baskets and tips, etc…, though.

My wife and son are coming off of aluminum poles with rubber grips that weigh about a pound each, so these are radically lighter –after getting them out of the package!

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

These look like they compress to fairly short when fully collapsed, but how high can these get? My sublite needs poles that go to 135cm at least, and these look like a worthy replacement for my ailing current pair that extends that far. Anybody know how many CM (or inches) these get to while remaining sturdy?

Thanks!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

According to Skurka, carbon fiber poles like this must be good for throwing at a grizzly bear.

–B.G.–

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Costco around here doesn't stock these in-store. But, Costco does have a different pair of carbon poles available online, Yukon Charlie brand. Almost double the money, but still a good deal at $50. These weight 13.9 oz for the pair. Comes with two types of baskets and little tip covers for travel but no "feet." Also the YC's have flip-locks, the ones in-store are twist-lock, which if you use your poles for your shelter can be a significant difference. They do extend to 135cm.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

According to the specifications on Costco's website, the shaft material is aluminum, even though they say carbon fiber in the title. Looking at the picture more closely, it looks like the upper section is carbon fiber but the lower two are aluminum. Very strange.

Anyone tried these?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools