Topic

Should I buy a Sony RX100 to replace my old Canon G5?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Should I buy a Sony RX100 to replace my old Canon G5?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

When I want to take decent pictures I've been taking my 12 oz Canon G5. The time has come to replace it and I've heard many wonderful things about the 8 oz Sony RX100. The price is slowly dropping ($569 last I looked), and I probably will replace it this Fall.

Do you think the RX100 is the current best choice to replace my old G5? I'm not a serious photographer by any means, but I'm willing to carry a heavier camera if it takes better pictures, and I understand how to use some advanced camera features.

Also, anyone have experience with the underwater case for the RX100 (Ikelite and maybe others)? It's still pretty expensive, $350 last I looked, more than I'm willing to spend, maybe the cost will come down or another manufacturer will make a less expensive case for it.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

no experience with underwater, but RX100 does seem to be the best all around compact!

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I love my rx100. I'm continually amazed by the quality, and its a pleasure to shoot with. Very responsive. I hadn't used a point and shoot since 2005 and my first time using the rx100 felt like time travel. Don't know how they squeezed so much tech into such a small package.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools