Topic

Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber 1.2oz Rain Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Cuben Fiber – Rain Pants – 1.2 ounces
    Cuben Fiber used was style number CTO.3k.08

My current SUL Gear List has had a pair of Cuben Chaps on a "To Make" for awhile. I also have wanted to make several clothing kits from Thru-Hiker.com. I have had one of their
    Minima Vest Kit and last week got both the
    Liberty Ridge Shell and
    Liberty Ridge Pants Kit.

I decided to use the Liberty Ridge Pants pattern for a pair of Cuben Fiber Rain Pants. The pattern is very easy to use and making the pants went fast.

The Liberty Ridge pants come with lower side zippers to make them easy to get on and off. I decided to use sew-on snaps as they would weigh less than a set of zippers. I have 4 snaps on each leg. My rain pants open up 19" from the cuff up toward the waist – this is at my knee.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Nice Bill, does that pattern come full size or is it just instructions?

I have a professional snap press and all the sizes of KAM polyacetal snaps, similar to the ones Patagonia uses. If you get sick of sewing on the snaps, I'll put some in for you on your next piece of gear or these pants if you prefer. No charge, just ship them to me and pay for return shipping by whatever method you want. I'm pretty excited about this tool and all the dies you can get for it. I have #00 grommets and dies too. It really does a pro job of installing. I just put some of the larger ones in my modified MLD Zip pack.

Best, Jhaura

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

I guess you can rule out wearing your rain pants in the laundromat while your other clothes get washed!

Seriously, they look amazing – unbelievable weight.

jonathan hauptman

@6hauptman6

Locale: A white padded room in crazy town.

First off, the pants look awesome and wonderfully light, but what about persperation? Won't you just end up soaked through anyway? I do not know about you, but when I am active I sweat like a pig. Are you perhaps planning on some way of adding ventilation?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Jhaura, Ben & Jonathan,

Thanks for your comments.

Jhaura,
    When I ordered the Liberty Ridge Pants, Paul at Thru-Hiker asked me for a waist size and inseam size. All the pattern have been full size and the pants pattern was made to the size I gave him. The pattern fit perfect as it came. I made no changes.

I did take notice of the snaps on your pack. I have looked into buying a snap press. I have some YKK plastic snaps that were sent me to play with. I expect to buy a press sometime. I appreciate the nice offer to put snaps on something for me. This was my first time using the sew-on snaps. It took a few to come up with a good system for sewing them but they are a pain. All I can say is they are really light.

==

Ben,
    Yes.

==

jonathan,
    What I wear in the rain is more to keep me warm since most rain gear only keeps you dry from the outside water. I can vent the legs up to my knees.

==

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Any plans to make these do double-duty as part of a VPL system for winter?

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Ben,
    I am sure the Cuben could be used for a light weight set of VB things to sleep in.

Maybe I should send an email to RBH Designs and suggest they look into using Cuben for a SUL set of VB pants and shirt. I could see it for sleeping in but I don't know if it would work as an outer garment to hike in.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

As always, that looks like a bang-up job, Bill.

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

The use of cuben for pants reminds me of two dormant issues:

1)Any update on the breathable cuben prototype that was mentioned in an earlier thread?

2)Any possibility of non-transparent cuben? This seems like it should be easy to manufacture…just add some carbon black…

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Chris,

1. Breathable Cuben – No word about that subject in some time.

2. Color Cuben – This is possible but costs a lot. If Cuben got a big order from someone for color they can do it as I understand by using a color film on one side. I have tried a few things to add color but they involve using another material sewn to the Cuben as a liner.

Jay McCombs
    BPL Member

@jmccombs

Locale: Southwest

Bill,

are you sewing your cuben or using some kind of tape/glue? If you are sewing, what kind of thread/stitch have you found to work the best?

EDIT, those pants look rad, BTW.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Thanks Jay for your comments.

I continue to sew all my Cuben Projects. For me to use tape I need more than two hands.

I use Gutermann thread that I get from Quest Outfitters in my sewing machine. I test stitch width and stitch length a lot when I first work with a new material to see what the material likes and what my sewing machine likes. I test sew scrap and then see what it takes to pull or rip it apart. I want to know what it takes to make it fail. Then I reinforce seams etc as necessary. For the Cuben and other thin material I think a long stitch length works best.

Sometimes I hand sew places that are hard for me to do on my sewing machine. When I hand sew I use a 100% Nylon Upholstery thread that I get at Wal Mart.

Mike Maurer

@maurer

Locale: Oregon

Bill,

Did you use CN1K or CN2K? I have some 1K here at the house that I use for stuff sacks, and non stress projects. Wouldn't trust it for a shelter. Like one of the previous posts – I sweat too much to use cuben for active gear, but a VB layer is a GREAT use of CN1K. That's why I'm curious which cloth weight you used – i can extrapolate potential VB clothing weights from your project if i knew which cloth you used.

Thanks a ton, and great job BTW.

Mike Maurer

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Mike,

I used Cuben Fiber stlye number CTO.3K.08. This has a weight range from about 0.30 to 0.35 ounces per square yard.

Steve Smith

@bardsandwarriors

Locale: Wales

Here's an idea, for a cuben-fibre owner to try (I have none, and right now can't afford any).

With a fabric so incredibly light, you can afford to use 50% or even 100% or 200% extra, and this opens up a range of alternative designs and features.

To make a highly ventilating cuben rain shell, you could overlap horizontal pieces of fabric, like horizontal cladding timbers on an external wall. Each strip would be 6? inches tall, and overhang the the strip below it by 3? inches. You would stitch the flaps down at regular intervals – once every 3 or 6 inches? But in wet weather they may get stuck down with water and close up, so you could add some kind of spacer to keep them permanently open.

(Have I explained that well enough?)

For the upper sleeves, and rain pants, do the same thing. But on the lower sleeves, use a plain fabric. This would allow you to move your arms upwards without letting the rain run in. Also on the bum area of the rain paints – use plain fabric, so you can sit down without letting water in.

It wouldn't be waterproof in very windy/stormy rain, and you could take shelter in those conditions.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I decided to revive this old thread as I'm very keen to make a Cuben Fiber top and bottom to use as a VBL.

Since this thread was started, has anyone else made clothing from Cuben Fiber?

A simple VBL bag would sure be easier but I'd like to have the option of wearing this stuff UNDER my down jacket and pants.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

Check out Zpacks.com for a cuben fiber jacket.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Thanks, Peter. I had a serious lapse of memory when I posted and did not edit (will now). I knew Cuben Fiber was pricey but just spaced it off. I will definitely be making my own to save some money. Thanks for the heads up though! That said, I'm looking for inspiration and recommendations on patterns.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Since you're looking for VBL, the more complete coverage that the RBH jacket offers looks like it'd suit you better.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Bill – nice work. Get the kamsnap tool. It is, well, a snap to use.

What are you doing for the upper body?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I made some cuben rain pants using 1.2oz cuben which weigh about 1.9oz total. They work fairly good for what I want. For short periods of wearing, I toss them on over my hiking pants and they work like normal rain pants. For extended wear, they get clammy/sweaty due to the zero breathability so I ditch my hiking pants (too keep them dry) and then just wear these.

They're a nice thing to carry on trips where little to no rain is expected but I don't want to go sans rain gear.

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

just a lil fyi, I see a lot of these arbor presses marked up, I almost bought one for rivets, only to find a cheaper alternative… If you have the means to modify the ram and anvil accurately, look at buying the specialty dies and just buy the arbor press from harbor freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-arbor-press-3551.html

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Timothy and others,

First, it is nice to see the new activity on this old thread.

After I made these pants I was able to buy a really nice snap press second-hand from one of our members. In testing "I" found that kind of snap hard to open wearing glove liners, as when it is cold. I am thinking about making another pair of cuben pants and use small button size Velcro pieces.

All of my Cuben garments are first a Vapor Barrier Liner and second for rain. I don't always say that as most folks have no real idea how to wear or use a VBL item. I would prefer to wear the Cuben things next to my skin so any sweat doesn't get into my cloths. I do however, make sure I have venting options. I also think it is more comfortable sleeping in VBL cloths then using a VBL liner with a sleeping bag or quilt.

William Bylund
    BPL Member

@lhs2miler

I'd like to build these. How much is a snap tool cost? If too expensive, can I ship a pair to you to add the snaps?
    Bill

Jim Leonard
    BPL Member

@mxracer33x

Locale: West Coast

Has anyone tried makign a set of Pants out of the "Breathable" cuben fiber that zpacks offers?

http://www.zpacks.com/materials.shtml

Very pricey, and Im not sure how it would do for activewear, as compared to using it for bivys where the breathability woudln't have to be as much.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools