Topic

Bivy help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bivy help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I had my first real experience with a bivy this past weekend. I found that I was sliding all over the place. Can you guys give some tips to make the nights go better?

I used a polycro groundsheet, MLD bug bivy, Neoair regular, Golite 20' quilt. All this is under a Solomid. I tried to find a level area of ground but there was a subtle slope.

I, unfortunately, keep rolling from side to side with some periods on my back.

Thanks

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Hum, never had much of a problem. I've used a nylon bivy for years and never had a problem. I wonder if the bivy on top of the ground cloth is the culprit. Maybe try just one and see how slippery it is.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I never had much of a problem with that, but I keep the pad inside the bivy and do not use a ground sheet.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Put some dots or thin lines of silicone sealant on the bottom of the bivy. It's tacky. Or are you sliding around INSIDE the bivy? (Then put dots on the inside, too.)

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

+1 on applying silicone sealant.

If you mix in some white gas, it will thin the silicone sealant, which makes it easier to apply and is not so "heavy".

If you move to a regular bivy with a silnylon floor or something like that, you can skip the polycro sheet.

I have a feeling that maybe you are sliding on the polycro sheet vs. inside your bivy.

Eliminating the ground sheet can solve that problem if you have a bivy that has a waterproof floor/bottom.

-Tony

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

I turn perhaps 8 or 9 times in one night and have the same problem with my NeoAir inside my MLD bivy. Sometimes I wake up with the Neoair on top of my sleeping bag.

The simplest solution
    Inspect ground carefully
    Put Neoair on the ground
    Put bivy on top of the Neoair

If you like the polycro and can tolerate the weight, put the polycro under the neoair.

I tried some dots of silicon seal and did not see a material difference.Perhaps I did not use enough.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools