Topic

Another Tarp Reinforcement Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Another Tarp Reinforcement Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

Locale: Southeast

I'm making a 9.5' x 5' flat tarp, but got a little excited last night and forgot to add reinforcement patches prior to hemming. Is this a problem? I've been browsing as many of the tarp reinforcement threads that I can and didn't see anything on that.

I was planning on making some 8"-10" circles of 1.1 sil, cutting them in half, and using them as a wrap-around reinforcement for the corners, and a full circle for the edge reinforcements. I'm guessing I would sew along the perimeter. I think I saw this idea on here somewhere. Is this a good route?

I plan on using shock cord for tensioners if that makes a difference.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You need to spread the load out. What you are proposing is a good start, but I would suggest bonding the reinforcing to the tarp as well. Silicone adhesive on both sides would be very nice, then sew the edges.

Cheers

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

I have Loctite Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant already. Would this work?

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/cntct_silicone/overview/Loctite-Clear-Silicone-Waterproof-Sealant.htm

My wife has a small roller that I could use to press the reinforcement patches to the main tarp body. I figure I would put some heavy books over each reinforcement overnight. And I would also guess not to let the silicone spread to the edges so I can avoid sewing through the sealant. Am I on the right track?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hi Tyler,

Warning, shameless plug … If you were an "M" level member or are willing to pay the per-article fee you'd find some helpful hints here

But you are on the right track. My own experience has been limited to "GE Silicone Sealant II" so I cannot vouch for the Loctite product but from what is on the "(somewhat)technical data sheet" I'd say it is well worth testing on some silnylon scraps. Coat both surfaces with the adhesive and then scrape off as much as you can. Definitely do weight it down but it does not require a lot of weight, 2kg for a piece the size you mentioned has worked for me.

I've had no difficulties (such as needle fowling) sewing through laminates prepared like that.

Tyler Miller
    BPL Member

@fightingthetide

If I hadn't maxed out my budget for gear, I would look into a premium membership. Maybe in a month or two once I can get some more money in the gear budget. I've acquired a new pack, quilt, shoes, clothes, and other small gear all in 2 months.

With the reinforcement patches:

Does anyone have a link to the thread that has the circle reinforcement patch? I think I have a good idea of what it should look like – 1/2 circle for corners and full circle for edges.

And what about attaching grosgrain?

My guess would be to sew it to the circle patches and have it lay between the tarp body and the patch. It seems like that would give it a little more strength (unless I'm mistaken) as opposed to having the grosgrain outside the patch.

Another thing – I'll be folding the grosgrain in half to create a loop. It should go on either side of the tarp body, right? From top to bottom, you would have Patch-Grosgrain-Tarp-Grosgrain-Patch.

Also, am I right that sewing the grosgrain ONLY to the patch is better than through the tarp body as well? I'm imagining this would spread the tension along the patch first, and then into the tarp, whereas sewing through the patch AND tarp body would transfer the load directly to the tarp and almost bypass the purpose of the patch.

Lot's of imagining going on here. Help me out if my musings are off.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Lately I've just been sewing grosgrain to the hem and seam – if there's a seam going to where you want the tie-out to be – like if it's a peak ridge that two pieces that have been sewn together.

Some zigzag stitch through the hem and some more through the seam. If needle holes are closer than about 1/16th inch, then it weakens the fabric, so back stitch to lock thread, do a zigzag with 1/16th inch between holes, and then back stitch to lock thread.

I used to do reinforcing, but then quit and it's never ripped, so I guess it's not necesary. Most people probably use reinforcing though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools