Topic

Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim hike opinions/information needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim hike opinions/information needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

A few years ago in November we started at the South Rim and camped at Bright Angel, next day we day-hiked up the North Kaibab trail and stayed another night at Bright Angel, next day up to Indian Gardens for the night with some day-hiking in the area, last day back to the South Rim. We thought it was a pretty easy and relaxing trip despite our advanced age of almost 60! I know that's hard for you young'uns to believe, but there you have it.

Anyway now we're thinking of something more interesting, a November rim-to-rim-to-rim hike: South Rim to Bright Angel, next day up to Cottonwood for the night, then day-hike to the North Rim and spend another night at Cottonwood, then down to Bright Angel for another night, next night at Indian Gardens, final day out to the South Rim.

Anyone have any knowledge, experience or advice concerning such a hike?

This time we're hoping to bring a pack mule…that is, our 24 year old son…to help keep the weight down. Now that I think of it, if he carries all the sleeping and cooking gear, tarp, food and most of the water I should be able to get my skin-out weight down below 5 lbs…this is sounding better every minute!

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Here are two threads that document a R2R2R trip that a group of bplers did about a year ago. While we did it in a single day, there may be some useful information. Beautiful trip.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=56272

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=55804&skip_to_post=474055

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

That's actually a pretty standard GRCA hike, doing it the way the rangers want you to do it- slow, with obvious water sources. Most advice would depend upon WHEN you want to do it- April is different than July. And sometimes all of that downhill on the first day can kill your knees. But since you've already done that other GRCA hike I see absolutely no reason you can't do this one. North Kaibab trail is longer but less steep that the two South Rim corridor trails.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Another question: is it possible in November to camp beyond Cottonwood so as to make the day-hike to the North Rim more manageable? That is, hike from Bright Angel to (say) near Roaring Springs and stay there, thus shortening the next day's hike to the North Rim to under 10 miles round-trip and less elevation gain/loss. I'm thinking of my old knees and ankles.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

In that travel zone you can only camp in designated areas, not At Large, and there is nothing else between Cottonwood and the North Rim campground.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Yes- the areas all around the Corridor trails are designated-site camping only. IIRC that means only Indian Garden, Bright Angel, and Cottonwood. There is some GREAT at-large camping to be had in the canyon but not around the Corridor trail system. There is also a single designated campground on Horseshoe Mesa, so you can't camp at-large on the mesa, though you can at-large camp in the use areas all around it, except high in Hance Canyon IIRC. (I have to brag- I have a permit in March for a hike down Tanner trail, then taking the Escalante Route and Tonto trail past Horseshoe Mesa and on to South Kaibab trail and out. It's going to be EPIC!) For great at-large camping without actual bushwhacking I'm a fan of Nankoweap trail, with camping at Marion Point or Tilted Mesa and at Nankoweap Creek. Some day I will do the Horsethief Trail, too, but that's REAL Grand Canyon back-country with very sketchy water sources.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Check the distance and elevation change from Bright Angel camp to Cottonwood camp, that may feel like a layover day between the other travel days.

In late November, the first wet, winter storm usually occurs, often during the Thanksgiving holidays.

James Clark

@jclark50

Hello Elliot,
    This post might not be too much help to you, but I think it is awesome that you are going to do this hike. In 2010 I started at the S. Rim and stayed 2 nights at Bright Angel. On the day off I hiked to both Upper and Lower Ribbon Falls. After that trip it was my dream to go R2R2R. Last May I had the permit for 3 nights/4 days staying at Cottonwood x 2 and then Indian Garden. This itinerary did not make the Backcountry office happy, but I can cover some miles and I'm in excellent shape.

Anyways, the Air Force decided to send me to Japan instead of California, so I had to cancel that trip. Fingers crossed, I'm flying from Japan next Friday and will drive to Arizone the following Monday. This permit is a little less agressive with me staying at Bright Angel, Cottonwood x2, and then Indian Garden.

The Backcountry Office is weary of people trying to over extend because they likley have to rescue/help many people a year. I think the mileage comes down to what make you comfortable, but also what you will enjoy. The 3 night itinerary would have been very structured for me and after I got the permit I realized I might not enjoy the hike too much. Now with a 4 night permit I will get to lounge and explore at Bright Angel and also be able to drop my stuff off at Cottonwood then head back to Ribbon Falls. If you want any info from my hike, let me know. James.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools