Topic

500d vs 1.9oz newbie question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 500d vs 1.9oz newbie question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I'm overhauling my antiquated and modest kit. I've narrowed my backpack search down to ULA and am wavering between the Ohm and Circuit. If I understand my options correctly, I can choose between the standard green 1.9oz nylon and woodland camo 500 cordura.

I've searched the forum but failed to find a thread which compares these two fabrics side by side. Not saying it isn't there, just that I couldn't find it. I'm interested in hearing from any end user in how these two fabrics compare. Is one more durable/heavier or is the choice simply esthetics?

A second question about these two rucks, is the circuit overkill for three season solo hiking without a bear canister? I've been leaning towards the Ohm all along but I've read a few posts which seem to indicate that this ruck is only good for a three day trip.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

The green is a 210 denier nylon like cordial with a dyneema ripstop. The cordura is a much thicker material. There is probably a few ounce weight difference.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I get a sense that the 500d is similar to the materials used on tactical gear but I really don't know anything about the different materials. Thanks for the info.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

>> A second question about these two rucks, is the circuit overkill for three season solo hiking without a bear canister?

It's not simply about volume difference, which I found to be pretty minimal. The Circuit has an added stay in the suspension and can carry more weight. So, consider the kind of packweights you'll be carrying. They also don't fit exactly the same. I was intending to buy the Ohm, tried them both and preferred the Circuit.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for your insight. I'm at the 15ish lb mark now but hope to drop another 5lbs by this summer once I upgrade my sleeping bag, pad, bivy & tarp (wasn't kidding about the complete overhaul). It seems that the Ohm would cover this fine but I'm also the default pack mule for the family and have other interests (e.g. fishing, photography, etc.) which will substantially raise my base weight from time to time.

I also have a long-term goal to through hike the JMT and PCT so having a pack which is bear canister friendly is a plus too.

As you mentioned, the volume is close enough between the two that I have a hard time justifying owning both. All things considered I'm going to pull the trigger on the Circuit and learn to live with the 10oz penalty. It only took me four months to make this choice!

Thanks again Sumi!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Green ULA fabric is standard 210D dyneema gripstop. The 1.9oz fabric on the Ohm is the black side panel stuff. 500D cordura is substantially more abrasion resistant than 1.9oz ripstop. A good investment for those who bushwack or carry skis regularly.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I ski, snowshoe, and bushwhack so I like the durability aspects of the 500 cordura; the woodland camo appeals to my GI legacy. The only thing giving me pause is that I don't like to carry a pack which looks military or tactical when I'm traveling abroad which is at least once a year. I have other packs for that purpose so not necessarily a deal killer.

I'll call ULA up before I make my order to find out if there are any other color options with that material.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I've been leaning towards the Ohm all along but I've read a few posts which seem to indicate that this ruck is only good for a three day trip."

That depends on your kit and food strategy. I regularly use an OHM for 8-9 day trips and have had it packed for 11(bailed early on that one). I should think most folks would be able to get their kit and at least 5-6 days of food into one. For comparison purposes, my base weight hovers around 10 pounds for summer/fall trips.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools