Topic

Ultra light idea for boiling water WITHOUT a pot using hot stones?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Ultra light idea for boiling water WITHOUT a pot using hot stones?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

(thinking out loud here)

I was watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3LOhYRY59Y&feature=youtu.be

… and it had me thinking that heating a rock and then placing it in water could be used to boil the water.

I know that this trick has been used by native people but I wonder if it could be used for ultralight backpacking.

It would require you to have some sort of solid nalgene bottle. However most of us carry one anyway.

You would also need a cage to hold the hot rocks to prevent them from touching the plastic. That can be extremely light weight though.

There is ALSO the issue of soot in your water. Honestly I probably wouldn't care about this. For some of my dishes they would probably taste better ;)

My pot is only about 0.25 lbs or ~ 100 grams so this isn't a huge weight savings.

Kind of an interesting idea though.

Douglas Ray

@dirtbagclimber

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I suspect that it would be quite inefficient in time and wood-gathering energy. I have done some heating rocks up to heat back country saunas, and it takes lots of time and lots of wood to get them to start to glow.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools