Topic

rab pulse pull on

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) rab pulse pull on

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO
    Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

at Hagl̦fs Gram Comp Pull Рfor 20g more you get GTX Active Shell (3L vs 2.5L)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If it's waterproof/breathable, that's an impressive weight.

steven franchuk

@surf

The Rab web site list the hydrostatic head at 15,000mm. It's waterproof. They don't say if it is breathable, or list any breathability spec.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

It's breathable(ish). The fabric is Pertex Shield+. I have the full version of the Pulse which has better cuffs in addition to the full zip at about a 1 oz weight penalty. Ever try removing your pull-over shell under a tarp pitched to the ground without getting all of your gear wet?

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

They've got a nearly baffling number of these light things now :)

The Kinetic is the version with better (well velcro) cuffs. Also two traditional pockets rather than one chest pocket. The pulse jacket seems to be nearly identical to the pull on, except of course for the main zip. Respective quoted weights at 180,200 and 220g.

The picture makes it look as if the chest pocket might just about have changed somehow for the pullover. Probably just adding a tiny strip of relective stuff? Will see in a month or two when it finds it way to shops I guess.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

You're right, I meant the Kinetic.

IMO the still slight increase in weight is worth the added features if you expect foul weather. The pullover is fine for those areas where it rarely rains and the shell stays in your pack.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I compared the full-zip version of this jacket to OR's Helium II, which weighs 6.4 ounces in a size large. It too uses Pertex Shield+ DS 2.5L fabric.

While searching for reviews online to compare the two (Dave C has one here) I found the OR Helium II on sale for $50, so it was a no brainer. My biggest concern was going to be the fit in the body and arms since prior OR clothing has been a bit baggy, but I was happy to find that the Helium II has a more athletic fit.

I've only had it out in winter conditions (snow) so no real test on how water resistant/proof it is. As far as breathability goes, well just like every other WPB jacket you'll appreciate the front full length zipper to cool off when you over heat. The fabric does feel much softer and drapes better than any other WPB shell I've owned.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools