Topic

Favorite trail food

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Favorite trail food

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jean-Philippe Levesque

@psykarun

Locale: Quebec city

First post here but I've been checking out the wealth of information on this site. Great to find a community of people just as hooked as I am. For me its a way of life more than anything else.

I was wondering; what are you people's most favorite trail food, new findings, etc.
    Example: Lately I discovered those Egg noodles at my grocery store. I discovered they could get very chewy by only staying in warm water for a couple minutes. 14g of protein by 85g portion. Exactly what I had been looking for.

What are your experiences with great, overated unprepared store bought food as trail food?

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

My favorite are Fantastic Foods instants: splitpea soup; refried beans; black beans. I get them in the bulk health food section. They also come in boxes. I add instant brown rice to the beans & dehydrated red & green peppers. These reconstitute in a ziplock bag, are light, fit well in a small area like a bear barrel, & are tasty.

David Brunstein

@ariztazer

Granola w/ nuts & fruit + nido for BF, PB&J on whole wheat tortillas for lunch. Power Harvest Bars for snacks.

Some of my dinner favorites are brown rice stroganoff w/ dried mushrooms, whole wheat pasta & knorr pasta sauces (with lots of fresh parmasean cheese), Lucky's clam chowder, au gratin potatoes, and fetticini alfredo.

Lucky

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I like eating cooked at home and dehydrated pasta most of all. It comes back with a few minutes sitting in hot water. I drain it and toss it with olive oil, Parmesan cheese, spices, etc. Tasty and filling!

Jean-Philippe Levesque

@psykarun

Locale: Quebec city

Are you saying youre throwing away the precious hot water? Might make a good starchy tea… hehe
    I think reconstituted pasta meals are good way to mix things up to your specific nutrition needs even all the way out there on the trail. If I feel like i'm starving a day, I just might add quite a bit more olive oil to suit my needs.

I find meals may seem to taste all the same after awhile… What would be good spices to add to pasta meals that excites your taste buds after an intense day?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

The nice thing about doing the dehydrated pasta is you barely have to cover the pasta-so not a lot of wasted water :-) And I rinse my pasta before drying so the water isn't starchy (yay!) If using a home dried sauce or a packet of Knorr sauce mix, you can keep the water in the bag, and use it to rehydrate the sauce as well.

I love chili powder/granulated garlic/oregano with pasta. Add in some red pepper flakes…..good stuff!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

My favorite trail foods are similar to the foods I enjoy at home. I dry all my own meals and make all of my own energy bars.

Kim Grant

@kimberlymae

I'm a food snob and it's hard to give up quality, even when packing light. Tasty Bite is very good ready-to eat Indian food. It's a little heavier thought, because it's not dry. http://www.tastybite.com/Indian_Food_s/1.htm

I make my own trail mix with chocolate chips, dried cherries, walnuts, pecans, and cashews.

I also make my own oatmeal using quickoats, evaporated milk powder, spices, dried cherries, and pecans. Just add hot water. (and a sliced apple or pear if car camping).

Next week I'm sampling some smoked salmon packed in oil and vacuume sealed (no fridge required). It's a new offering at REI. We usually bring smoked salmon or salami when car camping, but they both require keeping cool can't tolerate desert base-camp temps.

Lara Bars are the best on the market, IMO, for a sweet treat without refined sugars.

Special treat: a can of divina dolmas http://www.gourmetofoldecity.com/stgrle.html

-Kim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools