Topic

Packaging Down for Shipment?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Packaging Down for Shipment?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Locale: Creation

I have down (split in ounces) that I need to ship to a forum member (Konrad) and I need a method of packaging the down.
    Anyone have some insight?

Edit: I forgot to mention that it is super lofty 900 fill, not some cheap stuff. Losing down is not an option.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I'm missing something…"I have down (split in ounces)…"

Just laying there on the table?

In any case, a piece of mosquito netting taped over the end of a vacuum cleaner wand will allow you to grab and compress down into a wad. Place a ziplock over the wand, turn off the vacuum, etc, etc.

If you are "collecting" a lot of down, add a removable tube to the wand – like a toilet paper tube. That will allow you to accumulate quite a bit. Find something to work as a plunger to push the down into a ziplock.

Or provide a few more details.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Greg, thanks for the reply and you're right… I should have been much more specific.

Of course its not just sitting on the table! I mean… I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit spacey… but there is still something rattling up in the ol' noggin.

Anyhow, I have it stuffed in baffles of a DIY UnderQuilt, uncompressed. I know methods for retracting the down so that is no issue (I use the vacumn/noseeum combo for retracting). I'm confused how I can effectively stuff the down into a ziplock.
    Since the Ziplock is air-tight, wouldn't the method you suggested cause potential loss of down due to air pockets escaping from the top corners of the ziplock? Airflow is what I'm trying to avoid. I could maybe poke pinholes in the bottom of the ziplock but then down has potential to escape.
    Perhaps a breathable textile, like Tyvek, would work? I have tons of tyvek priority mail envelops lying around.
    Anyone?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I've done OK with a sandwich size ziplock. Yes, you trap fibers in the zipper but in the big scheme of things, not to bad.

One idea comes to mind.

Sew a long tube of netting, then stitch across it at, say 6" internals. Cut it into 6" sections. Place one over the vacuum wand and roll it back out of the way. Collect your down, roll the mesh bag up and over the down, fold and staple or tape the open end.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Hey Daniel, I'm not too worried about losing a few feathers, and also think that it's minor in the grand scheme of things. Not sure how much this would affect shipping costs but I wouldn't mind if you just threw it all in a larger cardboard box and just taped othe hell out of it so that none gets out during transport. Maybe put it all in a tall garbage bag and compress it? I'm not too worried about compression damage especially because it'll only be for a short time.

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

That is quite a brilliant plan Greg. I'm not sure if I have enough noseeum but great idea!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Get a BIG ziplock, they don't weigh much. Add down. Now fold over the top – don't zip it. Slowly compress the down holding the top folded. Wrap in duct tape.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

What's the matter with simple plastic bags? Even bread bags if you can find some without holes. Forget the high-tech!

Insert down.
    Close end in fist lightly, squeeze bag to expel air, double end over and wrap with elastic band or fridge wire tie.

Cheers

Daniel Russell

@superfluous_grizzly

Right on. Thanks everyone!
    Perhaps I was overcomplicating things. I'll try the ziplocks as Greg mentioned in the first reply.
    No shortcuts Konrad, I must make sure it arrives safely! :P I used to work at UPS and if any other parcel services handle their packages like we did… then nothing is safe unless it's bombproof!
    I'd feel horrible if it got to you and the package was expelling down.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Hammockgear sent me down in Ziploc, inside cardboard box.

Keep taking bits of down with fingers and stuff in bag. Zip bag closed.

I've also taken down from a garment. Slowly ripped the bext baffle open. Maybe shake out a little very slowly into a large plastic container or box.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools