Topic

Big agnes sarvis sl2 question?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big agnes sarvis sl2 question?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sheldon cooperman

@sheldon

Thanks for the review on the sarvis sl2, I have been waiting for some feedback on the tent. My question is, since you reviewed the version with the event rear panels, could you comment on how much difference there is between getting the event version and the less expensive slightly lighter nylon version, in particular with regards to condensation? Thanks

Mitchell Keil

@mitchellkeil

Locale: Deep in the OC

Well, I own the SL1+ non event tent. I have used it 5x since I got it in conditions ranging from a 60 degree night on a long grass surface with high humidity to a 30 degree night in Yosemite with a light breeze on pine duff and low humidity. I have commented before on the issue of condensation in general and will repeat it here again. It is part of the backpacking experience and “every” tent has some condensation. The sarvis does a good job in my estimation of managing condensation but it still exists. On the warm humid night, even with the canopy rolled back, the combination of grass and humidity left me with condensation on the single wall section. I just wiped it down with a viscose covered sponge I always carry with me for this purpose. There was not much to speak of but it was there. On the colder, drier night in Yosemite. I faced the tent’s rear vent in the direction of the light breeze and with the tent vestibule open I still got condensation. Again not much. Look, I feel that this tent has a good tradeoff between weight, convenience, tent height ( I sit very tall) and features such that condensation can be well managed by the judicious application of a cloth and common sense. Face its rear into the wind, leave as much of the tent open to the air as you can and the weather permits and use a cloth to wipe the inside down when needed. Because it is spacious ( the 2 is even more so) you will not be rubbing the walls that much if at all. So, my take is that it is a wonderfully thought out tent that I gladly traded my Virga for and have not regretted the decision for one moment (even though it weighs a good bit more). Go buy one and enjoy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools