Topic

Rain Jacket / Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Rain Jacket / Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

OK … advancing an idea … : )

I have found some past attempts at this rain gear & bivy combo but nothing in the 5 to 7 ounce range that I am shooting for.

Rainjacket that is on the bottom of the bivy, and the top end cinches like a stuff sack.

When you go into jacket mode, you clip the cinch end up inside under your armpits.
    so its folded in half inside itself.

Cinch off the arms and hood as a bivy

The bivy idea is using the Oware Hot Weather Bivy.

http://shop.bivysack.com/product.sc?productId=75&categoryId=2

rainjacket bivy

Oware biv

Here is a silnylon version by Expedlife.

http://www.expedlife.com/2011/10/exped-bivy-poncho-ul.html

BivPon

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
    Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Nope … : )

Thats a Poncho Tarp.

This is UL Rain Gear and "Bivy". For tarp folks.

Assume you have a tarp to use with it.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

Why would you want something like this.

Just carry a rain jacket and bivy.

They both serve their purpose, no need for a single item to "try" and do both jobs.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

I bet most folks have close to a pound of rain gear.

I find throwing ideas around helps me evaluate if time and materials are worth the effort.

It has kept doing me from a few projects.

Thankfully !

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Clipping the bivy up into your armpits sound like it would make the rain jacket very warm. Probably too warm. Would you be using a waterproof breathable jacket? I just think this thing would be sweaty to sleep in.

The military surplus poncho will hook into the military surplus poncho liner and close up to make a waterproof bivvy and sleeping bag. You should check that out.

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

No no … you would not sleep in the rain jacket your head would be at the other end
    and your feet would go into the jacket end at night and would have some rain protection from spray.

The jacket would be at the foot of the image below.

As you can see the bivy has a drawstring closer at the head end.

The half you would fold is half netting so it would not add any heat and pit zips would make it breathable enough

Hotbiv3

Imagine it like this:

tapbiv

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Craig,

"Assume you have a tarp to use with it."

OK, now I get it.

I like the idea or some variation on it. I don't like the idea of using my tarp for a raincoat because the raincoat gets a lot of abuse and I don't want to end up at camp with a torn shelter. I'm much more careful with my night shelter from the rain (tarp or fly) than I am with my daytime rain shelter (raincoat).

But your idea only exposes the non-waterproof(bivy) portion of the night shelter to the rigors of day use and it is carried inside the raincoat so it is well protected. My concern in the paragraph above doesn't apply.

One might also be able to morph the raincoat into the floor of the bivy, thereby making best use of its waterproofness.

Good food for thought. Thanks for the post. It's a subtle change to an old idea that has promise, in my opinion.

Also I'm not concerned about getting too warm with rain gear at all. I put rain gear on to stay or get warm not to stay or get dry. I'm always wet from either rain or sweat.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools