Topic

Quick Quilt Size “?”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quick Quilt Size “?”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    A W

@lost_01

Exhausted the search capabilities, just wanted to check:

I'm a skinny 6'2, but most quilt sizes I am looking to purchase are 6'0 or 6'6 (long).

Was hoping to see what most of you who are my height do – deal with the 6'0 (I'm a side sleeper with a slight bend in my knees when I sleep, maybe that's ok?) or go with the full 6'6?

*for reference, this will be my first quilt, and I am going for the katabatic palisade for a JMT trip this year.

Thanks!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Just to add to your thinking, as a side sleeper, you may be better with the wide version.
    Only trial and (expensive) error will give you an answer.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I am 6' 3" and a side sleeper too. All of my quilts (6) are between 70" – 72" inside length. I don't want my quilt over my head, just tucked to my chin.

Darren M.

@dmacdaddy

Locale: West

I'm 6' and the standard length is perfect for me. If I were you, I'd go with the 6'6. Better yet, just give Aaron a call and get his take…great guy to deal with!

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

As Tim at EE has mentioned, a 6'6" quilt is not as long as a sleeping bag of the same size due to some loss in length when the end is cinched up. I am 6'1" and the 6'6" quilt fits me nicely with a little space left. The wide cut is great for side sleepers or those of us that are bigger(cough cough).

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I am 6 foot, but went with an extra long for my Zpacks quilt and it is just right. I like to be able to pull the quilt over my head a little.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I agree with others. Go for the longer quilt, even at the expense of weight. That will help ensure your feet won't be pressing up against and compressing the insulation in the foot region.

Toby Salz
    Spectator

@tobysalz

i'd seriously consider going with the wide if you are a side sleeper. i ended up with a 6' foot wide chisos (i'm 5'11") with 2 oz overfill (anything more than 2 oz seems to shorten the bag for what i can tell from others posts) — couldn't be happier. talk to aaron about your issues. super helpful. palisade is also currently out of stock (i think likely to the outdoor gear lab review).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools