Topic

need your opinion on down sleeping bag :)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) need your opinion on down sleeping bag :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    arik lindauer
    Spectator

@arikira

Locale: israel

hi members,
    I nee some good advice for a down sleeping bag.
    1. the temps i need it for are around 20F with nights that can be highly humid (desert).
    2. good draft collar.
    3. durable(i don't like sleeping in tents or tarps if there's no rain) – mostly as i turn
    around at night and sometime slip off my mat. i have the WM summerlite which is very
    delicate and need delicate care.

my candidates so far are:
    1. WM apache MF
    2. WM apache GWS
    3. FF lark (with outfill of 3OZ). regarding the fabric, would you recommend pertex
    shield EX?

arik lindauer
    Spectator

@arikira

still looking for help here

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

There are many good brands.
    Buy on brand rep, not on price.

Cheers

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

"3. durable" One solution would be to use a tyvek or nylon ground sheet underneath your pad to protect your sleeping bag, instead of a heavier fabric in the sleeping bag.

On the other hand, FF would probably custom build a bag with whatever outer fabric you want.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I'm a little confused by "…can be highly humid (desert)"; my understanding of the definition of "desert" is that it's very arid, which is the opposite of "highly humid"…?

I hike in rocky/rough terrain and also prefer to cowboy camp when I camp. I just take an over-sized groundsheet to better protect my sleeping bag and my pad.

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

What about a Big Agnes bag with a built-in pad pocket? Solves the issue of rolling off your pad.

arik lindauer
    Spectator

@arikira

Sumi:
    desert in Israel can be very very humid at nights. waking up with wet sleeping bag is common here

arik lindauer
    Spectator

@arikira

sounds like ground sheet is the solution for durability.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

Cheapest groundsheet is anything laying around, but a good option for a groundsheet is Tyvek. I use the kite-making Tyvek over industrail Tyvek, it is a little thinner and it doesn't have the guild-inducing DuPont logo on it. Check Amazon for kitemaking fabric by the yard for under $10.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Personally my next bag will be DWR treated down. I believe Marmot sells DriDown bags. Yeah, I love my WM Megalite but I would love it a lot more if its down was DWR treated.

DWR treated down is relatively new and the main advantage is that the treated down absorbs MUCH less moisture and thus retains loft better and does not gain much water weight over many days of use, particularly in damp conditions where drying the bag may not be an option.

Marmot, Patagonia and one other company have proprietary DWR down treatments. Patagucci's method of DWR deposition may be the best one. Time will tell.

Julian Bender
    Spectator

@jbphilly

?מאיפה אתה בארץ

I miss hiking in the Negev…I did Shvil Israel 2 years ago. I didn't notice too much humidity, although it was in March, not summer.

I imagine it's pretty expensive to get quality gear over there…none of the local manufacturers make anything ultralight, for sure.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools