Topic

73 yr old man found near death in OR desert….with SMD Lunar Solo.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web 73 yr old man found near death in OR desert….with SMD Lunar Solo.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Just saw this article on the internet and in the pic I immediately noticed the guy’s tent. At least he has good taste in shelters.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mind-blowing-stranded-for-4-days-73-year-old-man-and-his-two-dogs-survive-in-remote-oregon-desert/ar-AAETR2g?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=HPDHP

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

I think the tent belonged to the bike packer who found the guy who had hiked from his stuck jeep. Lucky rescue, that guy looks in dire shape.  “Thought he was a cow”

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Yes I also think the tent belongs to the bike packer. You can also see the bike on the ground with some gear spread out, perhaps from the biker getting out food and water for the victim and his dog.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

It said the biker was out of cell range but pushed the SOS button on his GPS.

I wonder what type of GPS.  Must be an InReach.

It said it took an hour for an ambulance to arrive.  That is amazingly quick response.

The guys was out exploring in his 4WD.  It got stuck.  The man tried to walk to rescue.  I’m going to make sure and always take my InReach with me in the future.

The two dogs survived, must have drunk from mud puddles.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I was anticipating a story about someone nearly dying because the zipper on their Lunar Solo got stuck and they couldn’t get out.   I mean, there’s no emergency exit on these things, right?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools